new rat rod project

bent metal
bent metal Senior Contributor
edited February 2017 in Street Rods
I'm thinkin' 392 Hemi, or 308 Hudson with an old super charger. Lots of louvers and Lambo doors. ;)

She's about 80% there, it's a 1927 Essex. By the way, I'm just kidding about the rat rod stuff. :D Anyone have one of these? My Dad needs some info and a few parts.:)

Comments

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    bent metal wrote:
    I'm thinkin' 392 Hemi, or 308 Hudson with an old super charger. Lots of louvers and Lambo doors. :rolleyes::D

She's about 80% there, it's a 1927 Essex. By the way, I'm just kidding about the rat rod stuff.:D Anyone have one of these? My Dad needs some info and a few parts.:)

On eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boattail-Body-for-1927-29-Essex-Hudson-Sportabout_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10076QQihZ004QQitemZ140243878737QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI

Perhaps I am biased, but anything as rare as a Boatail Essex speedster would look out of place without Hudson Power. Think more about a Hornet (that would practically bolt in) coupled to a 4 Spd with Triple Carbs. There are many updates & adapters to make Hornet's more powerful than ever before and as long lasting as modern motors...(Not to mention eventual resale value)
  • bent metal
    Ol racer wrote:
    FYI

Perhaps I am biased, but anything as rare as a Boatail Essex speedster would look out of place without Hudson Power. Think more about a Hornet (that would practically bolt in) coupled to a 4 Spd with Triple Carbs. There are many updates & adapters to make Hornet's more powerful than ever before and as long lasting as modern motors...(Not to mention eventual resale value)

So I see you didn't mention the lambo doors so your okay with that. Good me too. As for the drive train, how about an Invader motor. :rolleyes:I know where one is that is still for sale. hmmm a little stretch on the frame and tadah! As for resale value, HA! I never sell anything.:D
  • bent metal wrote:
    I'm thinkin' 392 Hemi, or 308 Hudson with an old super charger. Lots of louvers and Lambo doors. :rolleyes::D
    I got a good laugh out of that one. You shoulda said you had chopped off the back to turn it into a pickup truck...and put a Rambler motor in it. That would've ruffled some feathers.:D

Nice find BTW
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Ohhh - streched with a 1000 cubic inch Hudson Invader w/twin turbos = that would give those "Blastolene" hacks a run for their money :eek:

:p
  • I think you ought to lower it and add a hydraulic bounce kit and have it hoppin' at the car shows.
  • hornet53
    hornet53 Senior Contributor
    Flip it over, seal it, and bolt an old Evinrude on the firewall, and use it as a fishing boat.
  • bent metal
    Pacemaker500 wrote:
    I think you ought to lower it and add a hydraulic bounce kit and have it hoppin' at the car shows.

Ha! A friend of mine had also suggested that. I could roll into a show on three wheels with the left front off the ground.:eek:

By the way Royer, do you have an extra Rambler motor you could spare???:rolleyes: haha, just kidding.:D But, the pick-up idea, hmmmm it's only a boat tail and if you made it a truck think of all the stuff you could haul!!! That might actually "INCREASE" the value!:D
  • super651
    super651 Senior Contributor
    Bent,Install a 308 with a Blower or Turbo and feel the Power of that 6-cyl it will come to life when needed. ( no hot cam or porting is needed,the Air-Pump will take care of that )

Looks Good to me. Thanks Rudy
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Sweet Ride!!! Just do not see many boat-tails around--you got to love them. Were it me, I'd go with the 308 with the 3 Carters, keep it "resto rod" style and add some 'tall' bright yellow Buff-lo wire wheels-blue body, black fenders, tan interior with a yellow body stripe. Just my way of moving away from "Resale Red?"
  • I've got a question - you guys say that the 308 is practically a bolt-in? How much modifications are we really talking? I mean I got out the tape measure last night and measured the length of the block and space between the front crossmember and firewall of my 28 Essex coupe, and it looks like some frame "stretching" or firewall notching would be involved.

Is that totally off base?

I saw that boat tail on E-bay - hopefully someone here snags it.
  • bent metal
    edited February 2017
    Well, I was sorta joking about the rat rod thing. I couldn't rat rod an original car that is so rare. ...BUT, if I made a copy of the car just out of new flat sheet metal?!?! :p Now THAT I could rat rod! :)

Body panel number one, pretty much done.js6wg46u0cy1.jpg
    9itu2t5bwqkr.jpg
    ncyz6d9wcv8y.jpg
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi Bent Metal,
    Nice work on the Boat Tail deck.
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    OH, to be able to panell beat , looks like a very nice job

Mike
  • bent metal
    I've been messing around with this car, off and on for a little while now. Mostly taking it apart and trying to locate missing parts. Mr. Brintnall has been a fantastic help in filling in the blanks.:)

Still a long way to go. But it's starting to go back together, slowly.:)
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Gorgeous work- I love seeing stuff like that.

But what's the story on the engine-turned piece that your part is laying on in the center photo? That's kind of impressive, as well.
  • bent metal
    Mike (WA) wrote:
    Gorgeous work- I love seeing stuff like that.

But what's the story on the engine-turned piece that your part is laying on in the center photo? That's kind of impressive, as well.

Oh the table top, it's just an old piece of MDF with a veneer of stainless that has that pattern cut into it. I had that sitting around in my shop for a year or two. Wanted to do something with it but never came up with an idea. So, I decided to use it as a table top and it works good for that.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    edited May 2012
    Browniepetersen wrote:
    Sweet Ride!!! Just do not see many boat-tails around--you got to love them. Were it me, I'd go with the 308 with the 3 Carters, keep it "resto rod" style and add some 'tall' bright yellow Buff-lo wire wheels-blue body, black fenders, tan interior with a yellow body stripe. Just my way of moving away from "Resale Red?"

How about this one??

• bent metal
    I love it!!! That might be the best picture I've ever seen to show just how small these cars are.:)

I have some friends of mine that have no idea what a Hudson is, let alone an Essex. I've invited some into my garage to see the boat tail and I've gotten' comments from, "Is it a car? Or a boat?" to "What is it, a Volkswagon?".

A VOLKSWAGON?!?!:D HAHA, that was my brother-in-law. To which I responded, "Yep, ...it's a V-dub. An old V-dub." haha, He was OK with that.:D

If they seem at all interested, I tell them, "think of it as the 1927 version of a Corvette. Two seater, sportscar, with no roll up windows. .... Just cool.:)
  • Bent,

To say that you are a sheet metal master would be an understatement. Terrific work! Keep the pics coming as you progress.
  • very very surprised by this beauty restoration ... and sheet metal work hard to find At any place!

you must be very proud of himself.

The most good and best congratulations.

on keeping on!

Regards From Spain.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I have always been a BIG fan of your work. I know it will not be complete by Spokane, but, what are the chances you will bring it over and let us all see how a true artist works?
  • bent metal
    Thanks for the nice comments. :D

I know I always like to see what others are doing, glad to see there is interest in what I'm doing too. :)

I don't think this car will make the Nationals this year. But I'm pushing for it to get completed. I really like this car and I'd like to see it finished. Right now the rear fenders are almost done and we (me and my Dad) are trying to figure out species and exactly how to go about doing the wood.
  • bent metal
    Some body mount brackets that rusted where they bolted to the wood.

I'm trying to keep as much as possible and only remake the areas that are too rusty to save. Not just remake everything.:)
  • bent metal
    Started on the rear fenders. Not finished yet. Just got the worst of the rust gone.
  • bent metal
    edited February 2017
    jvuzkjjp6l1i.jpg
    5qvy88oa46by.jpg
    5qt03dhl6rcw.jpg
    I'm sorta jumping around on this car. More so then I normally do, because I want to make sure all the pieces flow together when it's done. The way it's constructed is more like a carriage mixed with a car. Some of the panels are only held in with nails. Others are reinforced with wood and some with both metal and wood. It's been interesting to disect the whole thing and see how they made it. :)
  • esfoder
    esfoder Expert Adviser
    Wow !!!

Dusty
  • bent metal
    Finishing up the tail.
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    It's a pleasure to see metal fabrication!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lee
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    As Lee said a pleasure to watch, it doesn't matter what project or whose car it, your quality continually shows through

I would consider selling my coupe for a 31 version of the boattail

what a cool ride stock or rodded

mike