Rear quarter windows leaking

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Haveing trouble getting the rear quarter windows on my 37 T to shed water on the OUTSIDE at the bottom. The fuzzy stuff I've been able to get just don't do it. Anyone been there ? BUD

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I don't have the 4-door version of the '37, but don't I recall that there is a little tray built in under the window, to catch the rain? And that there is some sort of rubber tube to conduct the water out? Or is this just a bad dream I had, once?
  • Darn good dream Jon. There was no tray/tube there that I found and it's original. Maybe a trick you saw someone do that worked cause it's a BEAR !! Would ruin my new upholstery I'm puttin in. The thought of doing this crossed my mind and may be what I'll have to do. It's a slider window,does not go down, so it could be done. Thanks, BUD
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Dang! Now you piqued my curiosity! Did I really just dream that stuff???

So, I just went to the '37 parts list, under "Windows, Quarter and Rear" (page 124). Part number 121888 and 121889 are listed as the right and left "quarter window drain trough assembly".

So if yours doesn't have one (you'd have to remove the interior upholstery panel to see it, of course), it could be your car was built on Monday morning, and the groggy half-inebriated assembly line worker forgot to reach in the box marked "121888-9" as the car came down the line. Or, some subsequent owner ripped the darned thing out!

Possibly, though, I am mis-interpreting your question. I assume that you mean, rain is coming in your window at the bottom. And my first thought was, "that fuzzy stuff was never meant to keep out the water, because that's why Hudson put a drain trough down below!" So I may be barking up the wrong tree or headed down the wrong road, here...
  • Nope, you got the question right, and them boys did a great job makin this thing. Looks like I'm the dummy and better look at my parts again, could be it's a part of what is attached to the bottom of the window itself. ANYBODY ?
  • OK guys, I checked the window assembly and the body, no trace of any tray haveing ever been there or old body work. Glass appears to be original. The car is really solid so not "dissentegrated" and the upholstery was original, just dry rotted. I would venture to guess then that I have an early model and they were updated to fix a problem ? Looks like I'm on my own to see what I can come up with. Anyone been there before, I would appreciate your expereince. Thanks, BUD
  • Hey Bud--I'll just run along with ya and carry an umberella!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The quarter window drain trough is illustrated and explained in the shop manual in section 21, page 5. It is metal in the sedans, and just a folded piece of rubberized fabric in broughams. You'll find the body section of the manual here http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/MechProcMan/Section21.htm but the photo is virtually unreadable. The trough would be a very narrow, triangular affair sitting beneath the wood framing just under the window (hidden, of course, by the upholstery and window decorative trim, inside). Possibly this was a late addition (after your car was produced) but the shop manual makes it seem like it was a feature of Hudsons from the mid-thirties up...
  • OK JON, that explains it then , mine must have been fabric as much of the fabric was rotted/decayed and came out in bits. I'll rig up someting there as I can find no way, tried several, to keep it on the outside. Thanks, ---HEH, ole Slim better get him a rope on that umbrella cause I'm atakin him for a SKYRIDE !! TERRAPLANEING BUD
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Jon B wrote:
    I don't have the 4-door version of the '37, but don't I recall that there is a little tray built in under the window, to catch the rain? And that there is some sort of rubber tube to conduct the water out? Or is this just a bad dream I had, once?

My '36 4 dr sedan has the tray under the window and a drain tube from the forward end.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    My two 36 Terras and the three 37 Terras all have fixed quarter windows. I only have the el-cheapo/poormans models. Ive been to a few wrecks to strip what was left and have seen a few badly rusted gutters. I have one somewhere as a novelty item, until I found out what they were for. They have a drain hose running down the inside of the rear guards. Regards, Barry
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Of course, with a fixed-window model, you should have no worries about the kind of leaks that would warrant a gutter inside. On the other hand, it was virtually impossible to design a seal for a sliding window (which is why cars with roll-down windows have drain holes in the bottoms of the doors!).
  • My 37 Terraplane doesn't have that drain unless it got tooken of down the years.

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I have a 2 door car with wind down back windows.
    I made from Gortex fabric the the rainwater catcher/drains Jon mentions, sloping down to a hole in the floor.
    I also fitted a rubber weatherstrip that looks like a windshield wiper blade along the outside bottom edge of the window glass.
    Since then, I've had no problem with water ingress.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Without HIJACKING the thread may I offer that the experiences of an owner of a model the same as your would benefit you when inquiring about a solution.  The Hudson membership roster is now available on line with the option to search for the year and model of HET vehicle... this will immediately present you with a listing of those members with contact information that own the same year and model car your inquiry pertains.  Good Luck to you.... 
This discussion has been closed.