Ford Dual Master Cyl for '30'40's Hudson (Safety Upgrade)

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
FYI

If anyone is interested Rather than cutting holes in the firewall for a dual cyl and swing pedal, I am installing a '72 Ford Torino (drum brake) dual master cyl #10-1519 (Advance Auto) onto the '37 to '47 Hudson under floor brake pedal assy by doing the following...Cutting a 1/4" mild steel plate 3 3/4 H X 5 1/2 W, countersinking 3 perimeter holes using button head (flush) allen bolts (to retain the adapter onto the original Hudson pedal bracket), then hole sawing a 1 3/4' center hole and drilling one hole on the left & right side of the adapter to bolt on the wider flange Torino cyl.

The Master Cyl comes with a new push rod that needs shortened to aprx 4 1/8" .The stock clevises will need re-adjusted for pedal height. The mechanical rear brake feature can still be retained if desired. (If you dont want to make an adapter you can buy one from ECI Inc.) (www.ecihotrodbrakes.com). Its Listed for old Fords, but the Hudson Master cyl is identical.

Naturally you need to seperate your front & rear lines and if Disc are utilized the Master would be a different number. Addittionally, I discovered the larger Hornet 11 x 2/ 1/4 front brakes hubs & back pl;ates will interchange with swapping one brg race/cone providing greater braking.

Comments

• Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    If you can put this on the Hudson site,many will be happy!
  • can you put a remote filler on it?
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    And here all along I thought Hudsons only made Stepdowns :rolleyes:

Nice information to post out there for the earlier Hudson users. Do you have the ability to put some pictures with your description?
  • Ol racer
    Safety Updates:

Regarding remote fill for master cyl.... Great idea, but not sure if possible with the 'clip type' lid, but certainly deserves some thought..

Regarding pictures...

I could insert the adapter & master cyl back onto the '37 pedal assy I utilized to fabricate then take a couple pictures...

Regarding updating the '37 and '47 with larger Hornet Front Brakes..

The backing plates bolt on but '50's hubs are deeper requiring adding 1 (grade 8) 3/16" washer as a spacer inside the castle nut after utilizing the '37 inner brgs and the Hornet outter brgs.

I have also been using mid '80's Ford Bronco rear sway bars on my '37 & '47 Hudsons ahead of the rear end. The Bronco U-Bolts clamp facing rearward over the housing tubes near each side of the 'pumpkin' then the side links go up to the frame needing only a pc of channel welded or bolted. Handles like a sports car....

Ol Racer
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    ECI may only sell the whole 'under floor Master Cyl Kit' including their under floor Brake Pedal Assy. I made the Adaptor from a pc of mild steel plate as mentioned above. I posted some pictures a few Yrs ago but this is the only picture I have now. I retained all the original 'secondary' emergency brake system too....
  • Ol racer
    FYI
    Their Top '3 hole Adapter' is what I made from a plate. The Torino master cyl was for Drum Brakes and the Part # is listed above. It was a simple swap. I had to shorten the Torino push rod then thread it for the Hudson clevis then adjusted for slight free play.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I DID SOME CHECKING THE MASTER CYL IS ONLY $21 AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS THAT IS HALF THE PRICE OF THE ORIGNAL MASTER
  • Ol racer
    46 pickup,
    Buy the Adaptor Plate because EZ'r then Fabing one and use the Drum/Drum number I provided since the line fitament didnt give me any problem. I think I bought at Advance because of price Paul mentioned. Do the upgrade and keep the original Emergency Pedal Feature as I did.
    Ps: I bought a remote Fill' assy at a Swap Meeyt but never installed because never needed fluid after original Fill. (It can be easily accomplised with a funnel on a hose)
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Hey,
    Resurrecting an old post...
    Just got to the process of wanting to do the master cyl upgrade.
    Got the Torino master and its to big to fit on my 36T.  (too long)
    Any idea on another make/model that would be smaller but still a dual reservoir that could be adapted similarly?
    Thanks for any imput!

Jeff
  • Do you mean the piston rod is to long or the cast iron assembly is to long ?
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Hey Paul,
    Yea, the cast assembly is too long. The darn frame is in the way! 

:(

This discussion has been closed.