Air Ride Suspension - Stepdown

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Has anyone got information or details on putting an air ride suspension on a stepdown model?

I have a 49 Commodore I would like to "spank" to the ground while parked but get the ride height up enough that I don't have to worry about scraping the bottom of the car off!

Thanks in advance

rambos_ride

http://www.49c8.com

Comments

• I know that Fat Man Fabrications build a frame stub for a Hudson to install an air ride. You basically have to cut out your existing front frame stub and weld in their custom job. They list this setup for 40-53 Hudsons and the basic frame kit is $749 then you need to add the suspension kit which is about $1600-2500. They say this will get you a 3-5 inch drop and they include the mounts for the bumpers and sheet metal.This is only the front end.

The back end is going to be either you custom building plates and mounting gear or going with a new rear end with the mounts already on. Either way its going to take a lot of labor and money. But in the end you will have a new air ride and disc brakes.

Check out Fat Man at www.fatmanfab.com
  • Agree with 51HornetA.

In most cases, it is pretty expensive to do a reconfiguration/re-build of the suspension on any vehicle. Choices are very, very important going into this, and unless you know what you are doing, it can get extremely 'messy', to the point of turning a classic vehicle into a pile of parts or scrap metal.

If are seriously considering it, give fatmanfab.com a call. They are more than willing to talk about it, and they give advise that is very knowledgeable, based upon extensive experience.

In conjunction with fatmanfab.com, look into webrodder.com. They have extensive tech articles and forums on this type of subject. Here is one that directly refers to modifying the front suspension of a stepdown Hudson, with the suspension you are considering -

http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=62&SID=16

http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=63&SID=16
  • Come Out To La, Cal And Talk To All The Mexican Low Riders, They Know How To Screw Up A Good Car. My 49 Comm Rides Just Fine, As Engineered. Bill Albright, So Cal
  • Grumpy

Do you post to Contractor Talk also?
  • Grumpy

Do you post to Contractor Talk also?

Sorry, no. Must be another "Grumpy" person... Understand that there are a lot of us around... :)

I am not a contractor, and don't do this type of work. In fact, if I decide to do it, I would probably find someone who was very qualified & had the appropriate equipment.

Have an older Hudson, with major suspension problems. With the extent of repairs & replacements necessary to both the suspension & the frame, I am at a point this actually something I am considering, with the possible exception that I am not looking to go to the extreme of airbags - I would probably go with - carrera 'coilovers'.

I also somewhat agree with Bill A., concerning that 'special' cateogory of stuff called 'low riders'. I can't seem to "get into" the flames, murals, etc., and other "fluff" that they put on (or in) them either. But, if they want to throw their money and time into something like that, 'let em'.

I am not a advocate of "Keeping it Hudson"... I am an advocate of "Keep it alive & on the road". The only way to do that (and make it so it will be used & driven) is to make it what you want it to be, for the purpose you plan or want to use it for. If that means suspension upgrades, engine, transmission, or rear-end changes, so be it. If you want 'air', power steering, a nice stereo, or even GPS navigation - do it!

By the way - Here is a site that provides 'feedback' concerning businesses/products/service/support - Pretty interesting reading & informative - Nice information to base your decisions upon -

http://hotrodders.com/reviews.html
  • What I would like to find is someone who offers an upgrade kit that bolts on to the existing frame. I would like to see A-frames, control arms, sway bars, new springs and a upgrade for the steering to change it to rack and pinion. And new spindles so I can mount any type of disc I want.

The Hudson suspension geometry was excellent and the handling even with original parts is outstanding. I would like a kit that allows me to upgrade the suspension components without having to weld in a new frame stub.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hi All - Thanks for the feedback so far on the air ride for stepdowns

The Fatman implementation looks nice but a whole-loto-work to do - more than I wanted to do for this stage1 of this build.

I'm not really a fan of "low riders" or "car jumping" contests - that was never my intent to take the Hudson to that level. I just thought If I have to get newer parts that the air ride would give me some extra flexibility with ride height or sitting height when parked. The only other thing nice about air-ride is getting an on board compressor for emergency air for tubes, tires whatever...
  • Just found this post. Is this low enough? Stock front suspension.
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    51HornetA  -   I guess I don't understand your need to make the changes you are considering, since you already state the reliability and road ability of the standard Hudson suspension and steering  are more than acceptable.  It would seem to me the addition of the new and improved stabilizer bar available thru Ace Auto Parts of Cincinnati would take care of the improvements you desire.  As for the Rack & Pinion Steering, for my money that needs to be left to the modern junk that the auto manufacturers are trying to sell us these days.
  • necro post o.o' 2005 last post.

give me modern handling any day. 
  • 53jetman said:
    51HornetA  -   I guess I don't understand your need to make the changes you are considering, since you already state the reliability and road ability of the standard Hudson suspension and steering  are more than acceptable.  It would seem to me the addition of the new and improved stabilizer bar available thru Ace Auto Parts of Cincinnati would take care of the improvements you desire.  As for the Rack & Pinion Steering, for my money that needs to be left to the modern junk that the auto manufacturers are trying to sell us these days.

Do you know the part number for that new and improved stabilizer bar available thru Ace Auto Parts of Cincinnati?

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    edited October 2016
    Just call Dale Cooper at Ace Auto Parts in Cincinnati OH.  Dale has been a member of HET forever, and stocks a complete list of Hudson Parts and gaskets.  He recently added this new heavy duty stabilizer bar to his list, and those that have installed them say the cars corner flat like a modern performance car.   Dale's phone number is 513-821-6200,  address 7444 Vine Street @ Padock, Cincinnati OH 45216
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    http://www.hudsonmotorcarco.com/ Call Dale and tell him you want one.
This discussion has been closed.