Anyone Successful at Stopping Leaks?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Has anyone been successful in stopping all the different fluid leaks from their Hudson?  Seems like it’s dang near impossible to get the leaking to stop on anything but brakes.  Oh crap probably jinxed that now brakes will start leaking!

Comments

• 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
    The oil pan bolts had drops hanging from most of them, I removed them and put sealant on the threads and solved most of that.  Also replaced the cover gasket on the rear end and sealed the bolts and a new pinion seal and that was resolved.  Your brakes need repaired they should not leak.   Any Hudson was from a era where  leaks were not uncommon.  Todays sealers can relieve most of this.  Tightening bolts on Trans and OD also helped. 

• my 29 doesn’t leak a drop. Just saying 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I keep drip pans under my '53 Super Wasp to catch the minor transmission and differential leaks.  Has anyone had any luck with any transmission/differential seal treatments on their Hudson?  
  • BigSky
    edited May 2023
    My brakes don’t leak… it was a reference to the brakes being the only thing which doesn’t leak!

Paul, you live a charmed life!

I sealed everything on my trans after the repairs & still got a small leak from one of the back covers.  Everything being surgically clean & meticulous with the Permatex #2, unfortunately it just didn’t do it.  

I’ll be pulling the oil pan for cleaning this summer so I’ll seal that sucker up!
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited June 2023
    Cheer up Gents! Studebakers are far worse!! As a matter of fact, in the unlikely event you happen to chance upon a Studebaker absent an active leak, do not drive it! There’s not a drop of oil left in her to leak.. :D
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Ever had a British car or Motorcycle?  There's a joke that asks "Why don't they make computers in Britain?"   A.:  "Because they can't make them leak oil".
  • BigSky
    🤣🤣🤣  
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited June 2023
    Similar to Lucas Electrical Components, the other challenge British computer developers faced was keeping the smoke circulating within the wires and circuits. As everyone knows, and the Lucas Smoke Law proves, electrical gear will not work if the smoke suddenly escapes.  :D
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    The ROC have made up some steel reinforcing strips that are meant to compensate for and flatten out any warps in the oil pan rim that have occurred from over-tightening the pan bolts.
    They're based on strips that were found on a Railton engine that hadn't been touched since the 1950s.
    They have holes drilled through for the pan bolts and require slightly longer bolts.
    They have sets for six cylinder engines and for eights.
    I've bought a set and will try them out when I next do an oil change.