Coupe or Hollywood - which is more rare?

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
So this is a two parter.  Which was more rare when they were new stepdown (all wheelbases and levels) coupes or Hollywood HTs?  Today which are more rare after all these years. I have my guesses but just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hollywood gets the nod for both questions...

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    Interesting. Just the other day I was thinking about how often it seems I come across Hollywoods vs. Coupes (in For Sale ads and in person). Might be pure coincidence but I wonder if the relative rarity of the Hollywood actually boosted the likelihood of preservation? 
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    My guess was that more Coupes were made than Hollywoods, but as Stepup notes, Hollywoods were more rare, more expensive and survived in higher numbers.  Many coupes were used up as racers, drag and roudyrounds and are now much more rare.
  • tombia
    tombia Member
    Got to remember Hudson only made 5 million vehicles in 45 years. about same as Ford model A in 4 years, they are all scarce. 
  • On that note, all all 2dr hardtops called Hollywoods? I have a ‘51 Super Six hardtop but no Hollywood badging. 
  • The 51 parts book called them Hollywoods and they were announced as Hollywoods, but Hollywood badges weren’t applied until 1954. Some 51 52 and 53’s have had the 54 badges installed on them.

• Oh ok, that explains why there aren’t any Hollywood badges on my ‘52 Hornet hardtop but there is on my ‘54 Hornet. 
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    FWIW My ‘53 Hollywood had Hollywood badges on both front fenders and I believe these were originally installed by either the factory or the dealership. The color and condition of the paint under the badges (similar to witness marks) gave me that impression. 
  • Oh ok cool