Transmission Cover: Easy Installation?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
edited May 2023 in HUDSON
At the start of my clutch & trans work I had an electric hand so pulling the trans cover was not an issue.  Since I’m using a regular gear shifter for a while til I fix up the EH, I’m hoping someone knows of an easy way to install the trans cover?

I’ve already started chipping paint off my newly painted shift arm & from what I’ve just been told I either 1) remove the shifter or remove the heater to install the trans cover!  Hard to believe this would be their easy to get to solution!  It’s on my 37 Hudson coupe

Comments

• Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I have a 34 so I know it’s a PIA.   Frankly it’s a matter of creatively angling the trans cover.  I would have the front seat out too.  If you ding the shifter, touch up time.  

Sorry I can’t be more helpful
  • BigSky
    Yeah, too late on the freshly painted shifter, it’s beat to heck even after covering it for protection.  Hudson engineering at it best!
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Shouldn't the gear lever be chrome plated and not painted ?
    Mine is.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Actually, inside parts were nickel plated, exterior parts are chrome.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Hey Bigsky,
    I know it's a bit off topic, but could you possibly post a picture of the clutch fork linkage from the side? I am wondering if that is a rubber pad between the two flats of the linkage and clutch arm?
    Thanks!
    jeff
  • BigSky

The rubbers come as a set of 3, two ears & then the shaft rubber.
  • jjbubaboy
    I didnt know about those!
    Thank you so much for the pics!
    Where did you get them?
    Jeff
  • BigSky
    Wildrick’s has them on their clutch page.  37-47 one item # & 48-54 another item #, so order as needed.  

• jjbubaboy
    Thanks, I was just looking there and saw them.
    Now I need to find the proper cross shaft for them...
    Jeff

• BigSky
    I was getting a rough placement for the plate that I am missing & need to make to cover this hole in the floorboard under the heater.  This is the basic shape;

As I was looking at it I realized how the floorboard could be cut (green line) & then a plate made larger (red line).  One could even use the existing little hole on the right side.  Man it’s tempting because I had to remove the heater to get the floor pan back in place!

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    I see no reason why you couldn't.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Whack it off!
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    That plate only attaches with 2 bolts, top and bottom.