Step down drag car

Hello, I am working on building a drag car and I have a solid roller 49 Hudson commodore sedan. I am looking to build a drag and drive car and something that could be fairly fast. I am thinking about selling the Hudson, but before i do I wanted to see if it was a feasible option to build off of it without having to building a full tube chassis for it. 

My ultimate goal for the drag car is f2 procharged big block Chevy, th400 trans, 4 link rear, 9 inch, some sort of tubbing, probably a radial tire, and a full cage. I would like to be in that 8-9 second range in the quarter. I know will have to gut the car with new suspension and brakes. 

My questions 
How strong are the unibodies? Am I going to twist it in 2? Can you mount a 4 link in these cars without putting a full back half frame in it? What options are out there for front suspension and brakes? Has someone done this to a step down before?

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    If you are going to build a different and very competitive drag car here is an option that you should consider.  There are facebook groups, youtube videos on making these inline sixes beat even LSs.  They would be right at home in a stepdown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEtXhhY3Wwc

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    Well there's only one way to find out! B)

Here's what I can share. I'm running a street only 650HP BBC NA application in my '54 Hudson Couple with no indications of twist or stretch on the unibody thus far. It has a '74 Monte Carlo front end and Jag IRS in the back (big chevy wheels and disc brakes). If the body and rear continues to hold up to my heavy foot, the next step is to top it off (side it off?) with a Procharger. But my target power would be a mere be 850HP. That's plenty for a +-10.5 sec street car.

Your goal of 8-9 sec will require 1XXX HP. That's taking it to another level. I can envision a beefy 4 link installation in a Hudson but don't have first hand experience. But after spending lots of time under my car I can say there are opportunities to strengthen the original unibody by boxing-in sections, adding bracing, and increasing the number of welds.

I sure hope you give it a whirl.      
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited May 2023
    This video includes a short visit with Dave Coleman's 1950 Pacemaker coupe.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnM7w7Q5oSA

Dave drove this car cross country to the HET National meeting in Colorado Springs several years ago... during the trip, several Corvette owners were educated on Hudson Road performance.   The engine is a 190 hp at wheels bored and stroked 308 Hudson Hornet engine.
  • My main issues is will the body hold up I am not sure how strong the uni bodies are in these cars. Obviously I would brace it, but I don’t want to end up with a cork screw.