Old engine leaks oil

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
What would cause oil to pour out from under the oil dipstick.  It's an old engine that was given to me and I was actually surprised that it would actually crank, but when it did, oil spewed out from under the dipstick.  

Comments

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    How much oil was in the pan?
    regards, tom
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    edited April 2023
    It was full according to the dipstick, but not overflowing.  
  • which which engine are we talking about?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    262 six cylinder
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser

I don't know why I can't rotate this picture so that it doesn't come out sideways.  
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    This is the setup before I installed the dipstick....
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    This help
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    That looks 90 degrees better!
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Thank you Lostmind.  It was always upright every time I attached it, but kept ending up sideways when I posted the comment.  I still don't know why that happened.  
  • It sounds like you have an over pressurization of the pan, when was the motor last gone through (if ever)?
    my only thought is that you have weak rings causing a pressure in the pan.(if it’s not rebuilt try marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to loosen up the rings and burn off the carbon holding the rings)
    just a thought 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    The dipstick is hard to see, looks like the wrong one?
    Maybe pull the starter and look for crack or missing plug?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I figured it out.  Oil cap is from another engine and wasn't allowing pressure from the engine to escape.  Once I cranked it without the oil feed cap, the oil didn't spew out from under the dipstick.  
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    BTW, Lostmind, the reason the dipstick is hard to see in the picture is because it had been removed.  
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    BTW, I dig the homemade engine testing stand.