wanted 308 engine!

I am looking for a 308 engine prefer a 55 or 56, but will take any 51 and up uncracked block I have a cracked one now so anything from a bare block to a complete engine will work! Doesn't need to run, I plan on doing a complete rebuild! Any leads will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Where is your block cracked? cracks between valves and cylinder are common on 308 blocks and can be repaired.
  • 5 intakes and 1 exhaust are cracked over to the cylinders. you can see the cracks going down the cylinders about a quarter inch. I got a estimate from Perkins repair in Fairland IN for 1500.00 to weld it, and sleave all six cylinders!

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hendley Bennett recently advertised a 1956 engine in the CRATE with twin H complete 12-volt engine with accessories for $5000   519-four five one-7347
  • Ron Falk in Nebraska may have a couple rebuildable 308's left, the ones I saw were magnafluxed and did show 2 or 3 cracks. His email is 

rcfalk@megavision.com

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Time to make some new aluminum 308s!
  • ^^^^ this^^^
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    The 1500 price doesn't sound all that bad.  The last block I had done about 2 years ago was around 1200 to bore the cylinders, cut the valve seats, and align hone.
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Not sure where you are located but I found this on Portland Craigslist.
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/d/portland-hudson-car-parts/7605913897.html

Jeff
  • With the modern materials available. A new style of 308 of any material would almost be worth looking into.
  • The block shown above, is a 55-56.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Although the thought of an aluminum 308 block sounds great, I am afraid that just the cost of the tooling would be beyond any realistic hope of doing such a project.  From my experience so far with the head project, I would estimate block CAD design and tooling would easily be in the $80K plus range, not counting the casting and secondary machining costs.  Then we have the issue of needing newly forged crankshafts.....  Nice to dream but I doubt we could find enough buyers to make it happen.
  • It's nice to dream sometimes but we all know reality bites. I hope the head project is going good though