Shifter issue

Hi everybody!  I have a '51 Pacemaker sedan with a 3-speed manual transmission (no overdrive).  I took it out for a drive a few days ago and I noticed an occasional problem shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.  I took it out again yesterday and when I tried to shift from 1st to 2nd the shifter locked in neutral.  I could not move the lever up/down or back/forth.  I played with it for awhile and eventually coaxed it back into 1st so I was able to limp home and get it back in the garage.

I am able to get the lever to move up/down between 1st and reverse, but it will not move back/forth so I can't get it into 2nd or 3rd.  I tried adjusting the control wire anchor bracket on the end of the steering column but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  If I apply enough pressure I can force the lever into the 2nd/3rd range but I don't want to damage anything since it should move easily.

Has anyone had this problem?  What would be the best way to resolve this issue?  Thanks! 

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Best way is to remove the floor, and the tranny lid and check that the  shifter link that goes between the  top and  bottom shift shafts is moving cleanly fully into each slot.  it may be the  cable is sticky in the sheath.
  • In addition to Geoff’s suggestion.  Check the cable anchor point at the steering column is correctly setup.  The setup is described in the Mechanical Procedure manual.  It may also need a good lubing too
  • Hi everybody!  I've made a little progress on this problem but I'm in need of more information.  I disconnected the control cable from the shaft at the bottom of the steering wheel.  I can move the cable by hand to shift from the 1st/reverse range to the 2nd/3rd range, so I don't think there is a problem with the cable.

With the cable disconnected, there is still a lot of resistance from the shift lever when trying to move back and forth.  Up and down motion is OK.

I'm thinking about removing the control shaft so I can clean and lubricate it, but I have a couple of questions:

Can I remove this shaft with the steering wheel in place?

What would you recommend to lubricate the shaft?  Is it possible to lubricate the cable?

Thanks for your help!