Stepdown Battery

It looks like I need to change the battery on my 52 Hudson Hornet. Does anyone have experience with Battery Central?  They sell a Willard Group 2. And the cold cranking amps look comparable to the Optima. Curious to hear experiences as well as to whether it will fit in the stock tray with tie downs. 

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    $369 for a 6V battery seems a bit pricey to me.  I think my 6V from NAPA last year was $110 or so.  You can buy 3 for the price of one!  Also, my last NAPA 6V Lasted me 8 years.
  • I'd measure the tray before buying. Mine is only 7.5 x 10, so it would require modifications in mine to deal with the lip around the perimeter.
    The 1000 CCA of the AGM battery is nice, but lead acid is still a respectable 780 CCA.  I guess it's a cost vs CCA question.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited February 2023
    JDutra, take a good look around before you buy.  For example, if you're willing to put up with 675 CCA, DEKA manufactures a group 2, 6-volt lead/acid battery, number 902.  I've been using DEKA batteries in my '37 for many years.

Batteries Plus sells an identical battery ("Duracell") for $97.99 (that's with trade-in of your old core) that appears to be identical. I suspect DEKA is the supplier. 

NAPA sells an identical battery ("Commercial") but for $135 plus old core.  I also suspect that this is a DEKA.

750 or 800 CCA would of course be nicer, but 675 is probably enough to get you up and running. But, see what other StepDowners say...
  • I’m going on 4 years w an Oreilly group 1. It’s never been in a charger or maintainer. The car sometimes sits a few weeks without starting but never has given any trouble. 
  • Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice. Much appreciated.