Scarebird closing down

50C8DAN50C8DAN Posts: 2,689Senior Contributor

Comments

• superwaspsuperwasp Posts: 397Member
    Wait, what? When? There's nothing on the site about closing.
  • 50C8DAN50C8DAN Posts: 2,689Senior Contributor
    edited January 15
    They actually are already closed and selling off inventory!  Hudson brackets are sold out.

From their website:
    Due to latent supply constraints from Covid-19, we have decided to shut down operation effective end of 2022.  Items still listed are available - those not listed will not be replenished.

Phone is not is use - please email us direct:
    tech@scarebird.com
    We sincerely appreciate your patience.  Website will revert to info only regarding kits previously sold in 2023.

That's a drag. His kits saved people major $$ when converting. He used to cover a large number of applications too...
    Does anyone have the bracket dimensions we can use to re-create the correct bracket at a local machine shop? I think the bracket was the only non-shelf part in that whole kit. That was the simple beauty of the Scarebird kits.
  • bull_islanderbull_islander Posts: 608Expert Adviser
    scarebird replied on Tuesday to an email I sent over the weekend.  They stated they had about four kits left.  The website let me put one in the cart and order it this morning.  Previously the website was showing out of stock.  
    So there could still be a few left as of today.
    Steve Clarke
    Southeast Virginia
    1954 Hornet convertible

He didn't respond to my email so I assumed the 'out of stock' note was accurate. So much conflicting info...
  • Courtesy ManCourtesy Man Posts: 244Expert Adviser
    Most likely Scarebird machined these components on computerized milling machines. Each part would have a computer code (G code) fed into the milling machine which would  then drill and mill each feature  of the part. The code may be 100+ lines of instructions. The possibility here is that they may be willing to sell the program to another shop interested in continuing production. Then there would be an enormous amount of time saved  rather than trying to copy a sample part - especially the curvature of the bracket.
  • bull_islanderbull_islander Posts: 608Expert Adviser
    I took a shot at it superwasp.  Figure they'll refund my money if they don't have it. 

No immediate plan to do the conversion, but will have their parts and the instructions for when the time comes.
    Steve Clarke
    Southeast Virginia
    1954 Hornet convertible

edited January 18
    I tried too. It lets me put the kit in the cart, but not check out. 😆
    I actually have the complete parts list and instructions after asking Mark some technical questions about the new 2022 version. Mark just gave them to me in the fall. Now I know why he just gave them to me. Not sure why he didn't mention closing then, I would have bought plates then instead of waiting.
  • 50C8DAN50C8DAN Posts: 2,689Senior Contributor
    ABS still has their kits available BTW.