1950 pacemaker head

2manyprojects
2manyprojects Expert Adviser
do some 232 heads have 232 on them and others have 500 on them ? why ? thank you

Comments

• Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    The 500 designates it for a narrow block engine 232. The 232 head is for the wider block 232. The wider engine block came out in 1951 to accommodate the Hornet bore size and coolant passages.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    500 was for 1950 only, (narrow block) 232 from 1951 to the end.
  • 2manyprojects
    THANK YOU
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    The wide-block was developed to allow for Hydramatic trans to Hudson engine bell housing. Both I6 (all models including Jet) and I8 blocks from '51 to '56 used the wide block design (51 and 52 for I8)

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    50C8DAN said:
    The wide-block was developed to allow for Hydramatic trans to Hudson engine bell housing. Both I6 (all models including Jet) and I8 blocks from '51 to '56 used the wide block design (51 and 52 for I8)

Interesting. I always thought it was for bigger bore and crank reinforcement.
    Learn something every day.
    Thanks
  • 2manyprojects
    which 232 head  wide or narrow do guys put on 262 motors?
  • 50C8DAN
    This is a good read for anyone wanting to know the details and time lines on the engines and blocks.  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hudson-232-262-308-engine-tech.539734/

• 50C8DAN
    Note that wide and narrow heads must match the correct wide and narrow blocks, they do not interchange!  The only year for the 232 narrow head is 1950, and are marked with 500, so only 232 and 262 blocks from 1948 thru 1950 can use this head.  Anything after 1950 will need the wide head on the wide 1951 - 1956 blocks.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Jack Miller once had a 50 narrow block with a wider head on it. Hung over on the drivers 
    side of block. It was a running engine.
    No idea which gasket was used.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    The factory provided replacement  heads for the narrow block engines which used wide block castings but machined for the narrow block. That is probably what Jack had.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    edited December 2022
    The factory provided replacement  heads for the narrow block engines which used wide block castings but machined for the narrow block. That is probably what Jack had.
    Hah! , 20( maybe 30? ) years later an answer. I often thought I dreamed I saw it. It was on a car he had sold to someone here in Ohio and I went to look at it. I was confused.
    Thanks