Changes to the Open Forum

PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 991Administrator
edited November 2022 in HUDSON
This is to make people aware that in the next few weeks the look and feel of the forum will change as it will be properly absorbed into the main HET Club Website.

This is a decision that is being forced on us by the underlying software as that doesn't run on what is called PHP Version 8 and it doesn't appear as if the vendor has any appetite for making that happen.

I am currently in the planning phase of moving all the discussions etc. from here into the main site, that will take some time and effort to achieve.

I will also migrate across all ACTIVE users and by that, I mean people that have logged onto the site in the last 2 years. Any accounts older than that will not be moved across. 

Access to the site will be by the same URL as ever however it will now land within the main site as I said above. Registration and access will still be "free" for the Open Forum and the use of the Open Forum will still be subsidised by the main club site.

I'm sure there will be comments around this and am happy to take constructive feedback however it has to happen.

I hope in a couple of weeks to have a test system stood up so if people would like to help me test that let me know and I will happily send you links to the test area.

Comments

• HansHans Posts: 256Senior Contributor
    thank you, for all the effort !!!

• onerare39onerare39 Posts: 1,081Expert Adviser, Member
    Paul,  Thank you for the time and effort to keep us alive and active on the World Wide Web.    John Forkner
  • cchancelcchancel Posts: 217Member
    Some of the posts by inactive users are/were valuable with information.  Are they being preserved or do we hope for the best (active user responded to post; thus, preserving it)?

Thanks,

Chris
  • PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 991Administrator
    cchancel said:
    Some of the posts by inactive users are/were valuable with information.  Are they being preserved or do we hope for the best (active user responded to post; thus, preserving it)?

Thanks,

Chris
    I will keep as much as I can, can't promise I can keep everything but I will do my best

• Jon BJon B Posts: 7,456Administrator
    Thanks for all that you do to keep the Club's various websites up and running.  I know that you spend an incredible amount of time making everything run smoothly. 

It makes absolute sense to absorb this forum into the Club's existing website.  I hope this action results in making your burden less.

I do support keeping the Open Forum "open" to outsiders, even if the Club needs to subsidize it, because this encourages outsiders to join the Hudson conversation, which occasionally results in the Club's gaining a new member.  It can also result in saving for posterity a Hudson, spare part, or historic footnote which might otherwise have been consigned to oblivion. 

If, after the changeover, someone discovers he hasn't been migrated through inactivity, would you advise that he simply re-register?  Or can he simply contact you and request to be migrated?  (If re-registering is the preferred answer, may he use the same e-mail address and password as before?)
  • PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 991Administrator
    "If, after the changeover, someone discovers he hasn't been migrated through inactivity, would you advise that he simply re-register?  Or can he simply contact you and request to be migrated?  (If re-registering is the preferred answer, may he use the same e-mail address and password as before?)"

Hi Jon, the advice would be to re-register and , because it will be on in effect a new site, they can reuse the same details.

I will keep a copy of the Open Forum database around for a while which is where we store all those sort of details so if somebody needed to be resurrected I could do that as well