Evapo-Rust Thermocure

Old Fogey UKOld Fogey UK Posts: 944Expert Adviser
Has anyone used it to clear rust out of their cooling system?
Is it any good ?

Comments

• GlowplugGlowplug Posts: 2,337Expert Adviser
    Yes, Yes
  • HansHans Posts: 239Senior Contributor
    I use it.
    Good results on parts, often after oil and rust scale are removed. 

A lot more thought needs to be considered.  Oily residue inside motor and radiator needs removal as it may inhibit the rust removal.  If internal rust is scaley that will likely require mechanical removal, scraping, poking, even chiseling.

Removing water jacket has always been required in my case, lots of hard  scale-hard-crud on bottom surface. I have had stuff from 1/4 inch to 2 plus inches thick to remove.  Area over valve gally usually needs cyl head removal to clean it.

Operating motor with a non foaming soap such as diswasher, or cloths washer may help soften and remove the coating. Removal of oil or antifreeze coating inside cooling passages in motor or radiator is difficult with out opening system

Non foaming soap easier to remove the bubbles that just seem to take forever to get rid of.
  • HansHans Posts: 239Senior Contributor
    One more thought, Removal of water jacket covers often has the result of broken bolts due to rust on the threads protuding into the coolant.

On a '29 Essex there are two covers, each with 8 bolts.  A total of 16 bolts. The last two motors each had 8 bolts broken.   A lot of effort to remove them. 

I replace them with shortened bolts that do not enter the coolant area. 

• eddiehudsoneddiehudson Posts: 67Member
    I think I used it on my 2001 Expedition with 216K miles about 5 years ago. I drove around for a couple of days and when I drained the water out it was dark gray/black. I don't know if it did anything because my cooling system had no problems to start with. The price was about $20 at Walmart. 
  • Old Fogey UKOld Fogey UK Posts: 944Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • BigSkyBigSky Posts: 1,009Senior Contributor

It works.
    Hans said:
    One more thought, Removal of water jacket covers often has the result of broken bolts due to rust on the threads protuding into the coolant.

On a '29 Essex there are two covers, each with 8 bolts.  A total of 16 bolts. The last two motors each had 8 bolts broken.   A lot of effort to remove them. 

I replace them with shortened bolts that do not enter the coolant area. 

I'm going to replace the bolts with stainless bolts and I will put Wellseal on the threads.
  • JACK356JACK356 Posts: 232Member
    luck on my survivor 1934.Broken no bolt of the water jacket and all the brass washers still present;
    I have bought a bottle of Thermocure but I haven't used it yet.
    I decided to take a look inside the water jacket and found quite a lot of sludge and large loose lumps of rust in the gallery.
    Due to this, I'm going to take the cylinder head off to check the water passageways between the head and the block.
    If I find any of the passageways furred up with rust, what's the best way of clearing them out manually before I put the head back on and run the Thermocure through the cooling system ?
    The Railton Owners Club shop manual says you can use a drill on the openings in the head and in the block so long as you don't enlarge the holes beyond their original size - but that sounds to me a bit drastic and, possibly, a recipe for disaster !
    My own idea is to use a pin punch and small hammer to gently tap the rust out of the holes - can anyone foresee any problems in doing it that way ?

I did this a la dremel;with different strawberries and brushes. Around the cylinders;with a large metal hook and blow to the compressor with a long gun. And this for hours, given the rust since the stop in 54
    Hi Jack,
    The Dremel sounds like a good idea.
    Please could you send me a picture of the large metal hook that you used around the cylinders ?
    I had done this with a skewer metal pick

INOX METAL