General 308 Questions

So far my experience is limited to a 53 Hornet with dual range Hydramatic. Now I'd like to go look at a 51 Hornet parts car, condition unknown except for a couple photos. Here's what I'm wondering: Is a 51 308 the same engine as a 53? And when it comes to the transmission, does a Hydramatic use a different flywheel than the 3 speed? I have a 51 Commodore in another state to drag home, I know the engine is pretty worn. It has 3 speed with OD, how about fitting a 51 308 in there?

Thanks a lot and if I do all this I'll join the Hudson club!

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You can pretty well interchange any engine  1948-54, but there are differences in pre'50 versions, having a narrower block.  The hydramatic do use a different flywheel. It's been know to swap a Hornet engine for an 8, and vice-versa. Of course 202's were limited to the Jet and  '55-'56 wasp.   '48'-49's had either a 262 6cyl, or a 254  8cyl, and the first 232 was 1950, and thru to '54.   308's went from '51 to 56 ( and '57 in Australia),  But the  '55 '56's had a different flywheel and other things to make them compatible with the Nash body. 
  • Transmission crossmembers are different from stick to automatic, and stick crossmembers are welded in.
  • Also, the floorboard above the transmission differs as well.
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    54coupe said:
    Also, the floorboard above the transmission differs as well.
    Thats true to a point. The transmission floor cover was the same from 1948-1950. Starting in 1951, the transmission floor cover was changed for LWB Hudsons to allow for a new hydramatic transmission. All cars from then on had that floor cover Hydramatic or 3 speed-it didn't matter.  I.E.  You can install a 51 floor tranny cover on a 48 with a 3 speed tranny but you can't use a 48 trans cover on a 52 with a hydramatic.
  • Thanks guys.