232 head on 7X 308

Told there are some pics of 232 head prepped by factory for use on 7X 308
   Rudy Bennet is said to have posted some awhile back...???

Comments

• super651
    super651 Senior Contributor
    Martin, I will take pictures of the 7X 232 iron cyl head  showing the Modified chamber and the Factory Part Number stamped on top of head . Tomorrow and send them.
      Rudy Bennett
  • Rudy, any chance you could post the photos here? I have two 232 heads that are drilled for 1/2" head bolts, (one, on a known 7x engine) I would like to compare with another that I have, that I'm sure is not 7x. (7/16" holes)
  • super651
    Yes i will do that .I hope to have pictures on here by Saturday .   Rudy.
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited July 2022
    Thank you Rudy. By the way, I still have the headers on my 41 coupe that you made back in the 60's. This is Dick Thorp's old car, and may have been owned by Jay Allen by then.
  • super651
    Thanks 54 I remember that car very well as Dick and I used to trade info as to the 308 engine in making them run very well.  ( is it the one that all 6 cylinders go into  and tapered long tapered loke a MEGAPHONE ? )
    Also, have you ever seen a 3 carb manifold with 3 of the WA-1  carbs on it ?  Me and another local hudson racer built that cast Iron intake  and it is very,very Heavy  and my friend loaned it to Jay Allen   but he never gave it back and just Faded away.:

Pal  Rudy B.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Rudy... the three carb intake ended up on one of the Twin H Ranch cars at Fontana.  I saw the car a longtime ago, an early 2 door sedan stepdown if my mind is telling the truth to me.   
  • super651
    Thanks Glowplug very much. Jay promised us that he would take very good care of it and he would have it copied  so others could see and fell the difference in the power of a modification like 3 WA-1  over 2 of them.  I had it on my 1954 Hornet and even though i did not get a Timed Run on the Strip , the 308 would out run the cars that i could not on the street with the stock 2-ownes.  No  turning at all just bolted it on and lower the Idle just a bit.  If i could find it i would try to Trade or offer the Green-Backs for it.

Pal Rudy Old Timer Bennett
  • super651 said:
    Thanks 54 I remember that car very well as Dick and I used to trade info as to the 308 engine in making them run very well.  ( is it the one that all 6 cylinders go into  and tapered long tapered loke a MEGAPHONE ? )
    Also, have you ever seen a 3 carb manifold with 3 of the WA-1  carbs on it ?  Me and another local hudson racer built that cast Iron intake  and it is very,very Heavy  and my friend loaned it to Jay Allen   but he never gave it back and just Faded away.:

Pal  Rudy B.
    It is two, three into one tapered megaphone style.
  • super651
    Thanks 54 and it was Harry Grossel who designed them.  They would make the 308 out sound some of the big V8   And harry was very good at Spooking  the driver next to him with that Big 6 HORNET and he would cause a  driver to Red-Light, I could out run him on the street BUT  on the strip he would get me as he could cut a light and i could not 

Thanks so much  Rudy Bennett
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Pictures of the head would be great to see!
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Posted per Rudy Bennett’s request- 

We removed paint and this # was stamped where the original one was cast into the 232 7x Head. The factory did this stamping as the engine had the head  and oil pan and front cover on it.