Hornet Coupe off to Body/Paint

TwinSupercharged
TwinSupercharged Expert Adviser
1951 Hornet coupe off to the body and paint shop. I stripped all bright work, glass and dash

Car to be jet black with tan wheels and tan interior.

All paint stripped.

Comments

• Well, this is exciting... Congratulations! I can't wait to see it.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I see that your wheels are painted red. Any idea why many Hudsons have red wheels. Have asked a lot of people and still dont know. Thanks
  • My opinion, think wheel color depended on body color.  I don't have any info on what colors were involved.  I personally had red wheels on my 2 restos, a '46 SS convert in Nepal Ivory and a '47 SS convert in Gunmetal.  Both had blackwall tires.
  • Red wheels were (and still are, in many circles) considered the ultimate in COOL with pretty-much everybody with a penis from the 50's and 60's.   No car ever went to the race track without them and no car with any self respect under went any modification without them.  I'm telling ya, this may be the first time it has been written, but it was the UNWRITTEN rule!

• TwinSupercharged
    TwinSupercharged Expert Adviser
    This coupe was very solid with NO rust. It is very complete both inside and outside. No need to search for missing parts. No major dents or metal work required.

We have four coats of primer with block sanding between each coat. These long panels need to be supper straight for a black car. The roof was first and down to the side panels. Doors to come off first than the front fenders and trunk lid.

• Like your T-Bird, I had 2 '64s.
  • Well, it has been a long and frustrating many months getting to final paint. Many, Many primer/block standings to get all of the panels straight and true. Body and paint shops have their own Calander and Timing as to when you will get your car back. This one having to be Jet Black needs straight and flat panels, so knowing the shop's reputation, I let the work flow as required. These shots are right after the seal coat, three base coats and three clear coats. Now for the final sanding, buffing and polishing. 
    I am happy with how all of the panels look, how all of the gapes are equal and of course the color. Will report when it comes home. 

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Great to see you are in the home stretch!  Good Luck with the outcome Ken Cates

• super-six
    super-six Expert Adviser
    barrysweet52 
    "see that your wheels are painted red. Any idea why many Hudsons have red wheels. Have asked a lot of people and still dont know. Thanks"

Possibly one reason is that red or yellow wheels were standard color (depending on body color) on stepdowns until 1951. Possibly on some earlier models also.

• I think wheel color (with Hudson) depended on body color.  From my observations, the darker color cars had the yellow wheels, light color cars had red wheels.
  • StepUp
    StepUp Member
    edited February 2023
    From the pics it looks like the car was painted on a concrete pad surrounded by draped curtains vs. in a fancy high dollar paint booth.  Cool, I like it! I've single-handedly painted several Hudsons in a similar manner and know the tremendous amount of time, effort, persistence and material resources that are required to see it through to completion. Hats- off, it's real purdy!  
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Always interested in the paint process and materials used. What type of primer and paint did you use?