52 Trunk seal installation

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited May 2022 in HUDSON
I am again confused about something Hudson.
I pulled out the two Wildrick new (upper and lower) weatherstrips for the 52 sedan trunk.  According to the old instruction from K-Gap (on Ken's website) there is a protrusion on each that when the trunk lid is "closed", the protrusion is pushed
down to create the seal. On my original 53 coupe, that protrusion faces to the outside of the opening.
that makes sense to me as that would form a channel for water to feed out, not in.
On the K--gap instructions, it is opposite of that, with the protrusion facing into the trunk opening.
 On these two new ones, a narrow size is labeled as "Top" and that does not come close to filling the channel space. The lower one is wider and fits the space well.  (ok, I figure these were mislabeled, Top is wide, bottom is narrow)
??????

Comments

• caltrip
    caltrip Member
    I have had numerous problems with Wildrick trunk new weatherstrips. Every time that I have ordered them from Wildrick they arrive different widths and heights than the previous set. All I know is the longer one is for the bottom and the shorter one for the top. To this date I have never been able to get the top one not to leak. Good luck, I look forward to hearing from you on the forum. 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited May 2022
    I replaced the trunk seal on my '53 Super Wasp a couple of years ago also using Doug Wildrick's weatherstrips.  I used a small amount of black liquid sealant between where the top and bottom pieces of weatherstripping match up in the upper left and right corners.  No problems or leaks so far. 

One thing I recall from the job was that you had to make doubly sure you adhered the weatherstripping correctly (I almost put it on wrong).  Take your time and if you can, note how the old weatherstripping was applied before you remove it