Stepdown tyres / rim sizes..... again!

ernie28
ernie28 Expert Adviser
I have been following various threads over the past few months related to radial tyre size for Stepdowns as i planned to change from cross ply to radials when the current tyres had reached the end of their life. I had decided that 215/75R 15 seemed the most appropriate for my 1950 Pacemaker and went to talk to my tyre guy in town. His book was saying that this size tyre needed a min of 5 1/2" rim and the Pacemaker has 5".
Can one of you knowledgeable people please clarify what is best for the 5" rim or if the 215/75R 15 is OK regardless of what the book says.
Thanks for your knowledge in advance

Comments

• I have 5” wheels and have been running 215 and 225/75R-15s for years with no issues. I’d rather run the larger tire to slow the engine down and increase drive ability. 
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Thank you for that confirmation. Much appreciated. 
  • your welcome 
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    I have 225 75 R 15 tires on one Hudson stepdown and 2 35 75 R15 on another. Both are Hydro with 3.07 Ratio. The 235's slow the motor down but are hard to get on & off. I also bought & mounted a pr of 215 75 R15 then took about 25 mile drive to & from town then removed because the motor was turning too high of RPM's for my liking. I feel 225's are the best tire combo.