Advice requested: installing a water temp / oil pressure / voltmeter gauge set in 47 Super Six

Hi folks,

I'm happy to say I just acquired a fairly nice 1947 Super Six. All original, 6v. One of the only things I don't like about Hudsons is the "dummy light" system for oil pressure and generator function in lieu of actual gauges. For peace of mind while I'm getting this car in tip top shape, I'm looking to install one of those cheap 3-gauge clusters (oil, temp, volts). 

What I need some guidance with is where to connect the gauges. 
Temperature: there's a neck with a threaded plug at the top end of the water pump--it looks like it might be a perfect spot to connect the water temp sensor? I looked but could not find a place on the block to thread in the sensor. 

Oil Pressure: I'm guessing I'm going to need to plumb in a tee on the oil hose leading from the block to the oil filter? Anyone know where I can get some new correct-length oil hoses?

Generator: It looks like the right place to connect the _negative_ terminal of the meter is the ignition switch (or the coil +)? Or should that be the positive terminal of the voltmeter, as you'd do with a negative ground system? Despite my name being Watts I'm not an electrical expert--just checking to see whether positive ground would make any difference here!

Thanks for any advice yous guys have for a relatively inexperienced Hudson guy!

Tyler Watts,
LeRoy, Michigan

Comments

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited April 2022
    Your car was 6 volt positive ground when new. Are your new gauges compatible with that?
  • Oil pressure and water temp are mechanical gauges, so no compatibility issues there; as for the voltmeter, I'm pretty sure it won't care about polarity (?)--from what I understand it should read somewhere close to 8 volts when the generator is charging the system properly.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Forget about oil pressure gauge, it will read all of 5 pounds, if that.  The light is far more indicative of trouble.   Amp gauge, you need to disconnect the wire from the starter soleniod which comes from  the battrey  to "B" Terminal of the voltage regulator, and plumb into an amp gauge, and back to the  regulator.   Polarity is  relative,  if it reads backwards, reverse the terminals.   Temperature gauge connection, whatever works.   
  • Thanks for the thoughts, Geoff. As for the oil pressure gauge, I realize the reading will be low given it's a splash oiler, I just like the peace of mind of having an affirmative reading of oil pressure/ flow, given that the dummy light could have a wiring or bulb failure. As for electricity, I'm looking to do a voltmeter rather than an ammeter, so as far as I know it would not have to be in series with the battery/ regulator. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Correct, a voltmeter can just be from the B terminal to ground.