Headgasket oil leak

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I was given an old engine block and for the heck of it,  installed the necessary parts that I had lying around to make it a complete engine.  Oddly enough, it actually cranked the other day, but is leaking oil from under the head near 2 through 4 plugs on the driver side of the engine. I assume that the old head gasket that I installed is the problem, but when I checked the plugs, all of them had oil in them also.  I am torn as to whether I should try to rebuild this engine or keep it for parts.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  

Comments

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Jason, what is the status/condition of the engine in your car? If it is of a recent overhaul, figure out your miles per year to determine how many DECADES it will be before you need an engine change (set aside the fact that gasoline will be harder and harder to find in the coming years). 

You can use that calculation to help you determine what you should do with your spare. 

Any museums near you that you could assemble the engine, paint it up nice and put on loan there for display (or donation)?

I am 65, my engine in my ‘35 has a recent overhaul. It will last through my grandkids life at the rate I am driving it. I have one complete engine and parts to go with an additional block. Both should head down the road. 

Regards, Tom
  • It sounds like it may not be a leak but a lot of us put oil or mmo in the cyl to keep it from freezing while it sits. Was the head on it when you bought it?
    I might be reading that wrong but this is what I got out of it 👍🏼
    -Blake
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    It sounds like it may not be a leak but a lot of us put oil or mmo in the cyl to keep it from freezing while it sits. Was the head on it when you bought it?
    I might be reading that wrong but this is what I got out of it 👍🏼
    -Blake
    I didn't buy it, the engine was given to me. The head was on it when I obtained it, and I took the head off and cleaned the valve seats.  I put some Rislone Compression repair solution and the compression went up considerably in two cylinders.  That may be my problem...
  • @JasonNC
    got that, gifts are nice. 
    Did you start the engine on a stand and it built pressure and started leaking? 
    What era is it? Stepdown? Teraplane? Essex?
    -Blake
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Yep.  It's on a homemade engine stand.  I checked the compression before I tried to crank it and added the Rislone.  It started leaking immediately when I finally got it cranked.  It's a 262 c.i. engine from a 1949 Super Six that sat in a junkyard for years.  
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited March 2022
    I agree the oil on the plugs may have prevented the motor from seizing setting. What are compression readings and are all similar? The leak problem is probably the used head gasket. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I haven't checked the compression since it cranked.  The ring gear (old flywheel) gave up the ghost after it cranked for the third time (stripped teeth) and now the starter won't engage.   I have a NOS ring gear, just haven't had time to replace it yet.  When I checked it earlier, the compression on #1 was 35, #2 was 65 and the remaining cylinders were all close to 100.  Before I  took the head off, at the advice of another Hudson man, I poured ATF into each cylinder and then after a few days, turned the crank by hand.  At first it appeared as if it were stuck, then I heard a small pop and the engine turned freely after that.  I took the head off , rotated the crank, and the pistons and valves moved freely.