Hood Ornament

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I’ve been unable to locate a hood ornament for my 37 Hudson.  Does anyone know if any other Hudson or other makes ornaments fit it?   I know it’s not ideal but at this point I really don’t care, I’m not going without one anymore!

Comments

• Not sure if anyone makes them anymore (though someone should)
    There are a handful floating around in private hands . If I’m not mistaken this is the red rocket ornament correct?(im a stepdown guy)
    best of luck 
    -Blake
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Way back in earlier discussions on this topic I mentioned the Citroen hood ornaments that have a curved base and therefore could be adapted to fit a '37.
    Repro ones are available in France.
    They don't look like the Hudson Flying Carrot.
    They're kind of chrome versions of the Lalique glass Spirit de Victoire hood ornament and look stunningly Art Deco - and therefore not out of place on the very Art Deco '37 Hudsons.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    here's a photoOldtimershow Hoornsterzwaag  Hood ornament of a Citron T  Flickr
  • His car is a Hudson, not a Terraplane, so the hood ornament is a red plastic "wing"  (not a zeppelin) on a chrome base. The wing is similar in shape to the Citroen above.
  • Old Fogey UK
    lostmind said:
    here's a photoOldtimershow Hoornsterzwaag  Hood ornament of a Citron T  Flickr
    I had one on my Citroen Traction Avant but I sold the car in 1993 and I can't find a photo of it at the moment.
    The repro emblems came in 2 versions - chromed mazak and polished aluminium (mine).
    They're still available from dealers in Traction Avant parts.
  • Old Fogey UK
    There are separate repros of the emblem for the Traction Avant 11BL (shown in the pic) and for the Traction Avant Normale and the latter version has a shallower curved base.
    If he's going to use one his Terraplane, he'll need to check which one better fits the profile of the top of his grille - at a guess, that'd be the one for the Normale.
  • BigSky
    Here’s what the Hudson hood ornament  looks like;  

Here’s the Terraplane hood ornament; 

I’d take either I could find!  The Citroen ornament in the picture would make a nice replacement especially with its similar wing.  The hardest part is finding something that can fit the curvature. 

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    heres the other
    Womanamp39s head hood ornament vintage Citron Traction Avant built around  1951 Messe Karlsruhe Stock Photo Picture And Rights Managed Image Pic  IBR-3582349  agefotostock
  • BigSky
    I searched for the Traction Avant hood ornament but don’t find anything for sale.
  • Old Fogey UK
    BigSky said:
    I searched for the Traction Avant hood ornament but don’t find anything for sale.
    Private message me and I'll look for you.
     I speak French and I'm quite familiar with French classic car websites - I still hanker after a Hotchkiss 686 or 864.
  • Old Fogey UK
    No need to message me - the job's done.
    A Dutch classic car parts website, Jose Fransen SPRL, has both styles of repro hood ornament (they call it a Grille Motive) in stock.
    As the sellers are Dutch it's almost 100% certain they'll be able to communicate with you in English.
    You can click on a British flag to get the English language version of the website -  
    www.citroen-traction-avant.com