Next project to start without finishing previous 5…roll up shade on ‘34 Hudson

Was googlin’ around and came across Macs website and they sell a roll up shade for the Fords. Anyone know where a replacement can be found for the ‘34 Hudson deluxe that’s close to correct? Or are they all pretty much the same stuff? Here’s a picture of what’s on their site. Of course there’s no measurements or specs. This is pretty far down my to do list but figured I’d ask! 

Comments

• So if you read the 34 catalog, the shade material is translucent to allow the driver to see headlights behind.  I couldn’t find suitable material so made my own from light cotton canvas that I shellacked to get a stiffness.  At least on my ‘34 Terraplane RS coupe, the rear window shade pulls from the bottom up and is secured in the center with a lift-a-dot.  It also has two guide cords on either side to keep it from flapping around.  Here’s pictures of an original ‘34 car
  • Another pic showing the original shade secured in the ‘up’ position
  • Yes I read that! On my Hudson it’s a single shade at the rear window and looks to be the same make. I was afraid to unroll it and have it come apart, not sure if the lift a dot piece is still there but I did see some original pieces for the shade for my exact car on eBay I’ll take a closer look and make sure it’s all there. How did you replace it? Is it glued or something? Any advice? With the shellac you laid out the cotton canvas and just lightly brushed it on? I have a bucket of shellac I used for some other phonograph projects in the past. Thank you Todd for all the help you’ve been a great source of info on all my posts! 
  • So I brushed it on.  I experimented with both white and orange shellac as well as dying the canvas a light grey before shellacking.  I ended up just using the white shellac on undyed canvas. Then I ironed it as I’m of the opinion that this material was manufactured using a heated roller

So while I made my own material, I had this guy do the sewing and final assembly: https://www.heritageaai.com/shade-restoration.html

He did a very good job.  Couple of things; note the wooden dowel as well as the locations for the screw posts to secure the guide strings on either side of the shade.  If you use Marcus to sew this up for you, remind him that it’s identical to my shade: ‘34 Terraplane. 

• Oh wow that’s a really good resource I didn’t know existed! Idk if you want to put out there how much he charges but I’d be interested to know as that’s something I could send off and it not affect anything else. 
  • @Toddh I just sent him an email