Optima Batteries

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
Are Optima Red Top 6 Volt batteries any good ?
Opinions please.

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    I have used them in my 54 for 20+ years, probably on my third one. Always ready to go.
  • I started using them in 12 volt applications in the 90s. I knew a junk yard owner who had one with 1 cell burned off the 6 pack from an engine fire. He used it to start cars in his yard and thought that was amazing so I bought one. IMO they simply aren't the same battery they were then. I stopped buying them a few years ago after noticing ever shortening lifespans. I just don't see the value anymore when they don't out last a cheaper lead acid and the CCAs are pretty comparable.
  • I'm on my second Optima Red Top 12V battery in my '53 Hornet. The first one lasted probably ten years (discharged completely multiple times, lots of daily driving). I would assume the same quality and performance from their 6V batteries. They cost more but I have to replace them less so it about works out. The glass-mat batts also seem much less corrosive than traditional lead-acid batteries.

If it's good enough for Jay Leno's Dusenbergs then it's good enough for me :)
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks for the advice.
    They're not much more expensive than "classic" hard rubber batteries here in Britain so I think I'll give one a try.
    They look a bit out of place on an old car but as my battery goes under the floor, that doesn't really matter.
  • I had an optima six volt in my car when I bought it...the car sat for 6 months in warm weather and after that it would not take a charge again... replaced with a lead acid battery for 60 bucks and have not had a problem since.
  • Thanks for the advice.
    They're not much more expensive than "classic" hard rubber batteries here in Britain so I think I'll give one a try.
    They look a bit out of place on an old car but as my battery goes under the floor, that doesn't really matter.

I didn't like the look under my hood, so I got a Tar Topper. It's a battery cover that makes it look like an old 6V with water caps. Here's a picture of mine. Here's their web site.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    The three-week-old Optima battery I had in my '53 Super Wasp failed on me while driving to a car show in central Illinois.  It ruptured slightly in the fake 6V battery case and as I was trying to keep the car going by pressing on the gas pedal, the muffler blew out with a huge bang.  That was back in 2012.  Perhaps Optima has since improved their quality, but I'm back to the old lead acid battery as a result of this incident.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    atc said:

I didn't like the look under my hood, so I got a Tar Topper. It's a battery cover that makes it look like an old 6V with water caps. Here's a picture of mine. Here's their web site.
    What will they think of next ?  :D
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I had an optima six volt in my car when I bought it...the car sat for 6 months in warm weather and after that it would not take a charge again... replaced with a lead acid battery for 60 bucks and have not had a problem since.
    Optima Batteries along with all others using the same technology should be fully charged when placed in service.  A non-technical term used with rechargeable batteries is: battery memory.  Much like smartphones this brand of battery can be plagued with battery memory.  To overcome this Optima suggests a charging method to overcome the battery memory and “flat” or full discharged batteries.  Adding a known good battery of the same voltage between the optima and charger will create a proper deep cycle recharge chain which will in many cases return the optima to full performance.  I have two 6 volt optima batteries which were cycled in this manner.  Those batteries are nearly 15 years old.  One travels as a backup when I go on tour with a Hudson the other sits on the shelf as a test voltage source.  Hope this helps. 
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Here's an interesting opinion on Optima batteries via YouTube:  Never Buy This Car Battery - YouTube
  • I hadn't seen that video before... Funny. I think I noticed shortened life on my first post-2000 Optima too. 
  • Thanks Glowplug, I bought a special battery charger for it... a Solar brand... that did not work either... I still have it so I might try the method that you just described.
  • Glowplug said:
    I had an optima six volt in my car when I bought it...the car sat for 6 months in warm weather and after that it would not take a charge again... replaced with a lead acid battery for 60 bucks and have not had a problem since.
    Optima Batteries along with all others using the same technology should be fully charged when placed in service.  A non-technical term used with rechargeable batteries is: battery memory.  Much like smartphones this brand of battery can be plagued with battery memory.  To overcome this Optima suggests a charging method to overcome the battery memory and “flat” or full discharged batteries.  Adding a known good battery of the same voltage between the optima and charger will create a proper deep cycle recharge chain which will in many cases return the optima to full performance.  I have two 6 volt optima batteries which were cycled in this manner.  Those batteries are nearly 15 years old.  One travels as a backup when I go on tour with a Hudson the other sits on the shelf as a test voltage source.  Hope this helps. 

This wouldn't surprise me given there's an "Adoptima" program where customers can't charge their Optima batteries and return them so Optima recharges them and then sells them as used or gives them away as perfectly functional batteries.
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    I've had an Optima Redtop 12 volt in my 34 Terraplane for years without any problems - it will sit for months without being touched, but will start right up when you crank it.

An Optima Yellowtop, however, kept having problems in my 66 Mercedes.  If you read their website carefully, you will see the Optima Yellowtop is not the battery for regular car starting - just use in deep cycle applications. 

Furthermore, many of the complaints about batteries "going bad" were due to operator error (improper charging).  Even other AGM chargers get confused with a highly discharged Optima.  HOW TO SOLVE?  ...buy their $200+ "Optima 12 Volt Digital 1200 Battery Charger and Maintainer."  Whatever battery construction or circuitry is involved, their charger will recognize the battery while other chargers will not.
    Worth it?  I'm on the fence - I don't remember how long a "regular" battery will sit without any charging and still start the car.
  • Mine has the red top 6V from previous owner. Jay Leno also uses them I see but he says his reasoning is since they’re sealed, they do not off-gas and potentially corrode your vehicle especially in storage. Going off previous owners advice I hook up a maintainer (when I remember) and I don’t have any problems at all. If the voltage does get low enough I’ve found the motor will turn over but it will not fire…not sure if that’s due to the vehicle or battery, but if it sits a couple weeks without a start and you don’t have a disconnect I’m sure it doesn’t matter which battery you have you’ll need a maintainer. You also don’t have to worry about them spilling 🤷‍♂️
  • Oh the maintainer I bought is a cheap one from oriellys…works perfectly. 
  • Bought my 6volt optima in 2014 for my 36t.. It is on a trickle charge when not in use. Brilliant battery. 8 years life so far cheers ken 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Appropriate for this thread; Watching Jay Leno’s Garage.  He featured one oh his Duesenburg cars.  He made a point of saying he uses two Optima 6 volt batteries.  Explained that the batteries do not have liquid acid which means no out gassing which keeps the corrosion at bay while providing reliable starting.   Pretty kool explanation.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    My Optima 6 volt Red Top arrives tomorrow.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I have had an Optima in my Hornet for several years now.   Has real grunt.  Mine is made in U.S.A.  so  can't verify the Mexican ones.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    It's just arrived and it's made in Mexico.
     I am guessing that they all are these days.
  • I have two Mexican Optimas. One is 5 years old and still seems perfect.