1934 Hudson Wiper Blade install

This car has what seems to be the original wiper blades still on it…amazing I know. Even says made in the USA, TRICO, and in one side says a date of 1927 which looks like a patent date. Anyways…I ordered a set of replacement blades from Wildrick for the same model, but the design is different and doesn’t allow the rod piece to go on. I’ll show you the pics. The original had the detachable piece that the rod slid into, but it definitely won’t fit on the replacement. I thought about seeing if I could get that rock hard substance out of the original and get the replacement’s rubber in it but it’s a huge pain and I’m scared to try to pry it open to remove the old stuff. Anyone have some advice? I wouldn’t worry about it as it’ll never be in the rain anyways most likely, but it’s starting to scratch windshield and I figured why not easy fix. Lol 

It’s very annoying when you upload pictures they are crooked and out of the order you took them and uploaded them…oh well. I’m sure you can see which is which. 

Comments

• Scratch that…I’m an idiot. I simply just squeeze the original rod piece tighter on the new replacement and it works fine. Well, not sure if wipers even work as I haven’t tried them…BUT the look good…and that’s all that matters right? Lol 

Well…and hope they don’t fly off 😂
  • Can we for a min just see how awesome this Quick Glo stuff is? This is ONE PASS…I just figured ehh looks like shit let’s try it and man it looks a lot better than it did lol 

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited February 2022
    My car's a 1937 and the replacement blade looks the same as yours, but I guess your arm is different.  The arms for my car look like this:
    The little "hook" on the middle of your blade, fits into the slot at the one end of the arm.  The other end of the arm fits over the knurled shaft of the wiper motor, and a little chrome hex nut goes through the hole and is screwed to the threads on the end of the shaft.

I'm all for originality, and I can understand your wanting to keep the wiper setup authentic, but if you have difficulties you could shop for a new set of repro arms to take place of the "rod" type that you evidently now have.  Repro arms are still made but you must get the correct length to go with your blades.  The ones above are made for a Cadillac so of course they will be expensive.  But I'm pretty sure that Fords and Chevys had that style of arm, and you can believe that the repros for those will be less expensive than for Cadillacs or Packards (though they're identical to them).   Here is a short article from Hemmings, on vintage arms and blades:   https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2013/12/27/tech-101-what-you-need-to-know-about-windshield-wipers
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I think I've got somewhere here a spare '34 arm, that slider bit and the the rod that is attached to the arm at one end and the windshield frame at the other.
    I don't need them because I've replaced the windshield frame and converted to an electric wiper with an arm like Jon's.
    Message me if you're interested in them.
  • Jon B said:
    My car's a 1937 and the replacement blade looks the same as yours, but I guess your arm is different.  The arms for my car look like this:
    The little "hook" on the middle of your blade, fits into the slot at the one end of the arm.  The other end fits over the knurled shaft of the wiper motor, and a little chrome hex nut went through the hole and screwed to the threads on the end of the shaft.

I'm all for originality, and I can understand your wanting to keep the wiper setup authentic, but if you have difficulties you could shop for a new set of repro arms to take place of the "rod" type that you evidently now have.  Repro arms are still made but you must get the correct length to go with your blades.  The ones above are made for a Cadillac so of course they will be expensive.  But I'm pretty sure that Fords and Chevys had that style of arm, and you can believe that the repros for those will be less expensive than for Cadillacs or Packards (though they're identical to them).   Here is a short article from Hemmings, on vintage arms and blades:   https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2013/12/27/tech-101-what-you-need-to-know-about-windshield-wipers
    Wow Jon B thanks for the information! I’ll take a pic shortly of the arm I have now so y’all can see! 
  • I think I've got somewhere here a spare '34 arm, that slider bit and the the rod that is attached to the arm at one end and the windshield frame at the other.
    I don't need them because I've replaced the windshield frame and converted to an electric wiper with an arm like Jon's.
    Message me if you're interested in them.
    Thanks Fogey! I’ll post a pic of what mine look like and let me know what you think.