Installation of Differential Housing Gasket

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
With Spring weather approaching and the easing of Covid restrictions in Britain, it's time to think about using the Hudson again.
However, my wife is threatening homicide if any oil drips appear on our new and pristine block paving driveway.
New oil pan and gaskets with Wellseal and Wellseal on the gearbox filler plug have dealt with the obvious front end leaks, leaving just oil weeping from the differential housing.
Presumably, a new new gasket and Wellseal will put a stop to this.
Is it possible to simply disconnect the propshaft and take off the differential and its housing, put on a new gasket without disturbing the insides of the housing and rear axle ?
I'm not sure from reading the Hudson and Railton manuals and would appreciate expert confirmation before doing something stupid.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    To remove the differential entails removing the wheels,  brake drums and hubs,  bearing retainers, and pulling the axle shafts.   To remove the diff head,  first remove two bolts and fit three-inch studs in their place to enable easier removal and insertion.   Fit the gasket over the studs first, and coat with  gasket cement both sides, and re-install the diff unit.   while you are about it check the pinion seal and the inner and outer wheel bearing seals.   
  • Old Fogey UK
    Thanks Geoff - I don't fancy doing all that at the moment as the wheel bearing seals aren't showing any signs of leaking.
    I'll have to find a way of avoiding the wrath of my wife by stopping the drip from the bottom of the casing in some other way...
    Do I have to take the diff out altogether or can I just jack up the back end, drop the prop shaft and take off the forward part of the casing and slip on a new gasket with interfering with the innards ?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The "forward part of the casing" has the differential gears bolted inside, and the axles are  inside these again, so you can see the complications!   You may be able to pry the  assembly forward by mounting two studs in the E & W positions to slide on,   but it would be a messy business.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It's more likely that the leak is coming from the pinion seal, and drifting down to the lowest point, making it appear that the gasket is leaking.   Unless the gasket was damaged in installation, or a bad gasket material,  I don't think this is a thing that is likely to develop a leak in service.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    My Rolls Royce engineer friend who does the hard stuff on my engine suggests trying a simple solution - no dismantling but thoroughly cleaning and degreasing of the outside of the diff housing and putting a liberal coating of silicone sealer on the lower part of the split between the two halves.
    He thinks it might work and, even if it doesn't, no permanent harm has been done in trying !
    Would you agree, Geoff ?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Maybe put the car on a hoist and steam clean the diff? With the diff spotless you will be able to see exactly what is leaking. If its the pinion seal leaking, replacing that involves all the work that goes into replacing the gasket plus a bit more.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I'm going to clean it up this afternoon and I'll see how it looks tomorrow.
    It's not a a major leak just some weeping at the bottom of the housing - but just enough to drive my wife crazy if it gets on the driveway !
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Have you tried tightening the bolts?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Geoff said:
    Have you tried tightening the bolts?
    Yes, I did that yesterday afternoon and - surprise, surprise - I was able to nip up the bottom three a little bit.
    The rest were rock solid.
    I cleaned up the housing and I will take a look later today to see if that's done the trick.
  • Don't tell you wife, but cars of the '30's, '40's, ;50's, '60's will always leak a little oil in spite of your best efforts. Just keep some thinner and rags handy to clean up spots of oil. Maybe take away her glasses so she can't see as clearly.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Park on the lawn or in the garage, problem solved.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Put  a baking tray or oil absorbent pad under where you usually park or even a plastic tarp - Greetings Gert
  • Old Fogey UK
    Someone I know suggested a "car diaper " ! :D
  • Old Fogey UK
    2 days on since tightening the 3 bottom bolts and no sign of a leak.
    Looks like I may survive 2022 without being murdered by my wife.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I need advice from a Lawyer to ascertain what I should charge for consultation fees.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Geoff said:
    I need advice from a Lawyer to ascertain what I should charge for consultation fees.  
    Then I'm your Man !
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Would it be ethical for me to double my professional advice fee from zero?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Geoff said:
    Would it be ethical for me to double my professional advice fee from zero?
    Yes.
    That'll be £150, please, for my legal opinion.  ;)
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Okay, just put it on  the account.