6 volt questions

drivergo2
drivergo2 Expert Adviser
I have an 52 hudson that hasn’t seen the road since 66 question can I get some kind of a low volt type of a battery I could install to check my electrical system .Long story short I want to check the system is hooked up right . When I got it was hot wired to start so I got a ignition switch . I want to make sure everything is hooked up right from the key to the heater swiitch. Thanks John

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You mean, if you install a low voltage battery and then some circuits short out, the resulting fire would be less intense than if it were a higher voltage battery?

I'd think your biggest worry is finding short circuits, which (I guess) you could use a simple continuity tester to check.  To make sure that the wires are correctly connected to the starter, generator and voltage regulator, you can consult the wiring diagram. 

Carefully trace the headlight circuit wiring, there are lots of places where wiring insulation can get worn.

Look carefully at the ignition switch wiring to the solenoid and to the power source.  Somebody fooled with that!

It would just be a matter of following all the branches of the wiring harness -- especially where it passes through sharp holes in the body -- to make sure that everything is intact and that the cloth insulation hasn't worn away.  Pay special attention  up under the dash, and all the wiring there.

I'd just get a good 6-volt battery with plenty of CCA, be sure all the cables are of the right size, that all ground straps are properly attached, and that all connections are "bright and tight".  And remember it's a positive ground system.

If possible, install a cut-off switch; if not, make sure you detach the ground cable when you're not fooling around with the car.

If you find any worn insulation, either tape it (temporarily) or replace that section of wiring with good modern stuff of the right gauge.
  • eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member
    You can download a copy of the 1952 wiring diagram from the Club Store.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    How about a lantern battery?
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the responses, the coil was missing the distributor cap was off the key ignitions switch was missing otherwise it’s complete. Have a manual coming got a replacement ignition switch.They had cut they wires off instead of unscrewing them so that will give me some Leads. The original wires seem to want to go back together on the three poles. The lantern battery is something I never thought of I know there is one wire just just laying across the rest of the wires I’ll have to sort that out. Thanks again for all the responses John