How do I Re-connect This Linkeage ?

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
I am trying to re-connect the ball joint on the end of the cross rod from the accelerator pedal to the rod that connects it to the carburetor on my 1934 Hudson.
The ball joint has to fit into a slot on the end of the carburetor rod and is held in place by a spring loaded plunger on the end of the carburetor rod.
I can't find a way of holding the plunger down to be able to insert the ball joint into the slot.
I'm sure there's a knack to doing this - does anyone know what it is please ?

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    If it was me I would be holding the link in a vice and also unbolting the ball from the carby. Use a suitable skinny tool to depress the spring and push the ball in.

• I am trying to re-connect the ball joint on the end of the cross rod from the accelerator pedal to the rod that connects it to the carburetor on my 1934 Hudson.
    The ball joint has to fit into a slot on the end of the carburetor rod and is held in place by a spring loaded plunger on the end of the carburetor rod.
    I can't find a way of holding the plunger down to be able to insert the ball joint into the slot.
    I'm sure there's a knack to doing this - does anyone know what it is please ?

Just spitballin’ here, the linkage on my Essex is different but I believe that the slotted sleeve slides on the rod so that pulling it outwardly will compress the spring and open the socket. It might have a very stiff coil spring or slight oxidation making it difficult to move. 

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Thank you both for the advice.
    The collar on the rod is fixed so I did it Bob's way - and it worked !
    Once again, many thanks Bob.