Stepdown shocks should they be replaced after a 20 year slumber

I have the model numbers for the shocks and all but I’m curious is I should even replace them?
the car goes down the road pretty good but rocks pretty good when I hit a bump ,if I hit one the front will jump up and dip way down and the back will jump up as the front dips.no clue when they where replaced if ever, and if they where it was over 20+ years ago .
 Is this Normal? 
been driving the car a lot on quite a few road trips of 500 or so miles ,evrey thing in the car rattles when I hit a bump is this a shock problem?
car also sits a bit lower than others I have been parked next too, I also hit my tail pipe a lot when driving around town .
Thanks for all help!
-Blake

Comments

• Easy to confirm the condition of the stockers. Push down on the wheel arch of the rear wheel either side of the trunk. If it moves slowly up its OK... If it springs up and down a few times its stuffed. If the car is unsettled just replace them... For a few dollars it's not worth the hassle. A shock is worth nothing these days.. Replace it. Mind you the springs also loose their support. A good shop can confirm if they need re doing. 
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Check your swap bar links and front lower shock mounts. Likely places for rattles and conditions you describe. If they are ok , replace the shocks.
    Heavy duty shocks stiffen up the ride, you probably be happier with standard
  • @ken1962-I guess im kinda confused on what you are talking about , push down and if it comes up to what It was its good and if not there shot and need replacement ?
    if the car shoots up to what it was at it’s no good , and if it goes up and bounces a little there ok ?

@lostmind -the sway bar links where replaced just the other  day . They where completely useless and  disintegrated . I’ll go look at those mounts today , and if there shot they need replacement?
    I like the caddie feel so standard will be the ticket.

• Put new shocks on it. Check all suspension components for wear and looseness.