Alternator help

Hello everyone
I require a little bit of help from the brains trust of this group. My generator is on the way out. I can get the correct alternator at a good price. Was just wondering how I would wire this in especially the overdrive. Car is a 52 Wasp

Thanks in advance

Steven

Comments

• You didn't mention what type alternator. Is it a 6 volt?
  • Curiosity has me as to the reason of alternator replacement, is there something wrong with generators? (I see yours is going out and now is the time to change if you wish)
    In my opinion rebuilt generators “can” put out sufficient power for these cars.
    Are you still on 6v then if you have a generator?
    When I got my 53 Hornet it had a partial 12v conversion and the alt couldn’t keep up . Left me a few places (mostly in my drive). Love my gen , puts out all the power I need.
    Im somewhat of an originalist so these are just my thoughts. Also I’m not too sure how the wiring would work.
    -Blake
  • 6 vs 12 is an old debate that just never dies. It really comes down to your specific configuration. My generator puts out 40+ amps on the bench. It's plenty for my needs, but I'm not running anything exotic for accessories. As for starting... My 6 volt Hudson starts way easier than my 12 volt stovebolt. Shrug
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    You can go to my website https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com
    on the front page there is a link to 12 volt conversion. The resulting pdf page has a section on the installation of an alternator. 
  • Alternator is 6 volt positive ground
  • Is that a GM SI unit? Most of those are configured as 1 wire, but do come in other variants.
  • Yes it is a gm 1 wire alternator.
  • If it's a true off-the-shelf 1 wire it should be like this with polarity reversed. Did the seller not provide a wiring diagram?? Keep in mind with 1 wire you lose the GEN/Amp light feature because the old voltage regulator circuit gets bypassed. Most simply remove the dash bulb and use an amp or voltage gauge to monitor function.
    There are 2 and 3 wire self regulating alternators out there, but I don't think I've seen any in 6 volt pos earth configuration. A good alternator shop could probably build one that way for you.
  • Thank you so much superwasp. No instuctions were included as was deceased estate just came in box with six volt positive earth written on it.

Steven
  • If you have a starter/alternator shop near by (not the big box places) you might just take it over to have it tested and confirm it's really set up for 1 wire before throwing it in your Hudson. Just my 2 cents. Even if they charge you for it, it's worth it to be certain you're wiring it properly.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It is possible to wire in the Amp light by using  a zener diode and relay.  
  • This is a good writeup on alternator and generator function:

The 6V vs. 12V subject gets hashed out frequently.  This was a topic on the forum a while back with some interesting comments:

6 volt, positive-ground alternators are available if you want to go that route:

The 6V generator has worked just fine for me in my 1951 Super 6.

Good luck.
  • Use a 2wire alt, #i wire goes to batt., # 2 goes to amp light just change bulb. works easy. Kiss program.

• one wire is one wire easy and use a voltmeter gage, very simple works great.
  • Martin said:
    one wire is one wire easy and use a voltmeter gage, very simple works great.
    Yea you can do that, but 2 wire meth
    od allows you to use original amp light.
  • Thanks for the info but can anyone tell me what to do with the generator wire.
  • Steve, are you asking what you do with the wires running between the current generator and voltage regulator on the apron? 
  • Aaaah I actually went overdrive wire.

The alternator finally arrived had it checked out definitely 6 volt positive ground  single wire.
  • I thought someone would chime in on the overdrive circuit for you. I'm not familiar with how the overdrive is wired. Is there a wire that connects directly to the generator?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The attached diagram is on my web site... using 6 volt or 12 volt alternator this diagram applies.  
  • Thanks
  • I have a simple question about mounting of your GM alternator. is this on a Hudson engine? I have one mounted on my 308 engine. I have a custom made lower bracket that bolts to the generator lower bracket. I got a hold of an old school  early Chevy upper alternator swing bracket. I can provide pictures of how mine is set up on my engine
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I have a simple question about mounting of your GM alternator. is this on a Hudson engine? I have one mounted on my 308 engine. I have a custom made lower bracket that bolts to the generator lower bracket. I got a hold of an old school  early Chevy upper alternator swing bracket. I can provide pictures of how mine is set up on my engine
    pictures and how to do information are always something the readers here appreciate.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited February 2022
    Essentially, there was no such thing as an alternator 'option' for your car when it was manufactured.  So, any alternator put there will be 'aftermarket', as you probably already know.

A 5-second 'Google search' came up with this, on the top of a long list. I didn't look any further - 
    https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_24/6-Volt-Alternators-Positive-Ground.htm