Manifold update

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited January 2022 in HUDSON
Thought some of you might want to look at the CAD work going on with the new 2x2 manifold.  Still work to do on balance tube but looking pretty good so far.

Comments

• 50SuperFalcon
    50SuperFalcon Member
    edited January 2022
    Curiosity has got me , is the double twin for more power?
    Are the stock twin carbs what your gonna use?
    Neat design!
  • 50C8DAN
    It will use 2 Weber DGEVs either way 32/36 or 38/38.  It will also allow port FI if you choose, ala Bill Hamilton.  You can also buy adapters to buy run one or two barrel Carters.  Yes more power and better fuel distribution.
  • An upgrade for our stepdowns ? you got me interested on this project :D
  • 50C8DAN
    Yes, it will be a big upgrade for all Hudson 48 - 56 I6s with the exception of Jets.  This is the manifold I tried to get Clifford to make but never would.  However I am putting in some extras in this design to make it better than the Clifford 2x2 series.
  • brumac
    brumac Expert Adviser
    Looking goodDan,will it have provision for carb heat via a waterpassage using the cooling system?
  • 50C8DAN
    Yes please look in the second pic down.

• 50C8DAN
    edited January 2022

This is the water passage under the plenums

• Wonder if a guy could mount 2 Holley 2 barrel carbs on this ?  do you have a price yet  ?
  • 50C8DAN
    Will be doing a 3D printed version first for fit testing then going out of tooling and casting quote.  I will provide pricing as soon as I can.  Not sure why you would want to use Holley 2bbls?  Webers are far better at fuel atomization and will provide more than enough CFMs for a 308, or even a heavily modded 308.  If you can find a carb adapter it may work, but that is not the design goal. 
  • 50C8DAN
    Here is a Holley/Weber adapter 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332102551747
  • Not familiar with Weber dgev or cost..?.I got the Clifford 4 barrel but this new manifold looks more efficient...any price on it yet
  • 50C8DAN
    edited January 2022
    I do not have any pricing yet until I make sure that the design is finished and a prototype model is made.  It is designed to be about as efficient as an inline 6 manifold can be.  The Webers are probably the best carbs for atomization available.  Carb technology probably reached its peak in the 70s and that is when these became popular with the Jeep and import crowd for after-market applications.  Weber (Spain you can read about the split between the Spanish and Chinese mfging online) makes the Edelbrock carbs.   There will be round bosses sitting about 3/4" from the flanges for anyone that wants to go with port fuel injection.  I have already talked to Bill Hamilton about this option.  The other item I have added are the small pins on the bottom of the plenum to aid in breaking up fuel flow and providing a bit of turbulence.  I don't know how much more can go into the design.  
  • 50C8DAN
    edited January 2022
    As for carb cost - I have been watching the price of Spanish made synchronous 38/38 DGEVs, the most likley size for 308s and it has jumped recently to about $350 ea.  This is a volume price and if this goes forward I would try to bundle as many carbs to get a discount. The 36/32 progressives, that one could be used on any of the Hudson engines, especially the 232, are a bit cheaper at around $275 to $325.  However you can find the Chinese made ones for easily less than $200 ea, I actually bought 2 38/38s for $90 ea from Amazon for the model I am making.  There is a lot of debate about whether the Chinese ones are of equal quality as the Spanish ones.  Of course RedLine, the primary importer of the Spanish ones, claims the Chinese ones are crap, not surprisingly.  Although Redline provides repair and customer service which is lacking for Chinese versions.  On the other hand many of the buyers of the Chinese versions claim they work well.  Still, what I can tell is that there is only one factory in Spain making the Redline/European versions, while there may be more than one factory, most likely, the Chinese versions.  What I also know is that the parts from the Spanish and Chinese versions are interchangeable.  The $90 ones I have actually look very well made, but I have no way to check them at this time.

Note a quick way to tell the difference between Spanish and Chinese-made Webers - Spanish have cream or off-white choke covers, while the Chinese ones are black.
  • 50C8DAN
    edited January 2022
    I should have the final 3D files to print a model manifold next week.  It looks pretty nice and should work with any of the post-war 6s with the exception of the Jet.  Once we check the fit and other dimensions I will be able to send the drawings out for tooling and casting quotes.  Hopefully, maybe by summer, I will have something real!

One preliminary note, if you are running a stock exhaust you will need a block off plate for the heat riser connection to the intake.  I am working with the designer and think I can have a pattern made to knock these out via waterjet or laser.