Strange noise

JFromm
JFromm Senior Contributor
Went out to garage this morning and heard a buzzing noise coming from my Jet. I disconnected the battery and the noise stopped. I reconnected the battery and there was no buzzing. Any help would be appreciated as to what is going on.
Thanks

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Voltage regulator good suspect. Overdrive relay possibly
  • And that is the reason I disconnect the battery on All my vehicles  especially my vintage cars  when I leave them in my shop or in storage 

I would hate to loose all my cars and tools to a available fire 🔥 

just my 2 cents 

John
  • 2x that. Years ago I thought they weren't all that necessary. Then, one cold January morning while I was hosing down the ashes of a guy's home and watching the carcass of his Covette steam, it hit me. A $12.00 switch would have meant this house would be more than a foundation and I'd be at the station drinking coffee. I bought a battery switch for my Bel Air that weekend....
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I would imagine a buzzing noise like that would be pretty easy to trace especially with an engine stethoscope.    
  • JFromm
    JFromm Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the help. Will further investigate.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    John, do you have any idea from whence the noise was emanating?  It could be the clock, if there is one fitted.    
  • ALSO DO AS I HAVE: BUY A SMOKE ALARM WITH A RELAY INSTALLED {THESE ARE GENERALLY HARDWIRED, 120V}, THEN RUN A PAIR OF WIRES  (THRU TREES, ETC) TO AN ALARM IN YOUR BEDROOM. IF THE ALARM GOES OFF AT NIGHT, ETC. IT WILL OPERATE AN ALARM IN YOUR BEDROOM. YES, DOUBLE PEACE OF MIND !!!!!  There are more fire sources than just a disconnected battery !!!
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    RichardD said:
    ALSO DO AS I HAVE: BUY A SMOKE ALARM WITH A RELAY INSTALLED {THESE ARE GENERALLY HARDWIRED, 120V}, THEN RUN A PAIR OF WIRES  (THRU TREES, ETC) TO AN ALARM IN YOUR BEDROOM. IF THE ALARM GOES OFF AT NIGHT, ETC. IT WILL OPERATE AN ALARM IN YOUR BEDROOM. YES, DOUBLE PEACE OF MIND !!!!!  There are more fire sources than just a disconnected battery !!!
    Especially in most of our garages. I had an issue with the Carb cleaner that comes in the one gallon metal cans. It ate through the can (after one year) and leaked from the upper cabinet down into my plastic storage drawers, all over the work bench, and onto the floor. If there had been one spark in the garage, I believe that I would have come home to a pile of ashes. I told my friend about it a year later when he bought the same cleaner. He must have forgot. He had it stored in his basement. he came home from work to find that it had eaten through the can and leaked all over the floor. As an adder- ALWAYS put your carburetor soaking solvents in a glass container when you are not using them!