Startix

Does anyone have a working Startix on their Hudson or Terraplane?  If so, I’m looking for pics of the mounting location for the box (I assume firewall) and also the clutch pedal switch. 

Thx!

Comments

• Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    I am reinstalling a startix on my 32 Hudson.  It goes on the back of the engine above the starter, on this car anyway.  Once I finish rewiring I will let you know if it works.  i have run out of room in my shop and been busy building another building.  Now that that is done I can get back to cars

Jay
  • Hi Jay

recently I was able to acquire a correct mounting bracket.  Your correct in the the Startix unit sits above the starter mounted on the water jacket 

thanks!!!
  • I’ve got to ask …. What’s a Startix?
  • I’ve had several cars with a Startix.  

The ‘36 and ‘37 Cords I once owned had the activation switch on the clutch pedal mechanism (kind of like a clutch safety switch) and the ‘35 Studebaker Commander I own now has a vacuum operated switch on the intake manifold. If no vacuum is detected, the Startix is engaged. You better remember to have the clutch pedal depressed or the car out of gear when the key is turned on or the Studebaker is going to move with the starter turning the engine over!

I never was able to get those Cords to work with the Startix (I had other start buttons wired in), but the Studebaker system works flawlessly.

Tom
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    DocHubler said:
    The Startix on 33 Hudson is clutch pedal operated.   I have one,  but not installed on car. 
    Hi.  Do you any pics of the clutch switch?  I’ve looked carefully through the parts books and there’s no mention of it.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Back in the day - in Britain at least - they had a reputation for being notoriously unreliable.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    I can see that.  They were available here for several years and then disappeared by the late ‘30’s
  • Old Fogey UK
    Toddh said:
    I can see that.  They were available here for several years and then disappeared by the late ‘30’s
    That happened in Britain also.
  • Hans
    Hans Senior Contributor
    Lucas have a hand in their manufacture?
  • Old Fogey UK
    Hans said:
    Lucas have a hand in their manufacture?
    Probably 😩