Opportunity to bring back the Chuck and Rudy Performance Head

2»

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Will do thanks.  Yes, I know it is more than I had hoped for when I started looking at this. But with so few parts to spread the tooling and upfront costs over it is what it is.  The other issue is that aluminum alloy prices have now almost doubled from what they were 9 mo. ago!  I am submitting an ad to the WTN today to see if we can swing a few more interested parties.  

I hope to get back on the manifold project soon as well.
  • I'm not in a hurry, but it sounds like we should get a batch done before alloy prices double again.
  • I'm not in a hurry, but it sounds like we should get a batch done before alloy prices double again.
    Awe, it's all 'transitory' right? 😆
  • 50C8DAN
    Time line is about 12 weeks after a go.
  • 50C8DAN
    At 17!  Look for an ad in the Jan/Feb WTN.
  • I'm interested to have one and put it on my 54 Super Wasp, but I don't quite know if it's 7/16 or 1/2 that I need. Any quick way to check this or do I have to remove at least one head bolt to find out ?
  • 50C8DAN
    edited December 2021
    Providing you have a stock 262 in your Wasp it would be 7/16.  Unless it is a '55/'56 or reworked earlier Hudson I6 they are 7/16.   7x, '55 and '56 308s were 1/2".  We will probably make the heads with 7/16 std which would allow them to be opened up to 1/2 if desired.  

We have 20 heads reserved so far, but are hoping for at least 30 to get the price down more.  We also did some redesign work on the original design to beef up the strength for anyone wanting to use pressurized options, ie. turbo/supercharging. 
  • I've done some research through the old papers and bills that came with my car and didn't find any mentions regading the engine's head, so I'm assuming that it is stock.
     I will take one head if I didn't mentioned it.

Also, what are the precautions to take when installing it as we all know that aluminium alloy doesn't really like any other alloy?
  • VicTor Z
    VicTor Z Senior Contributor
    Hi 50C8DAN, I will take one. VicTor Zamora thez@verizon.net
  • 50C8DAN
    This thread should give you the info you need.  This head will not be any different than a stock aluminum Hudson head as far as keeping your head healthy with the cast iron block.

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/366869/308-aluminum-head-w-0-5-head-bolts-gasket-and-torque-setting
  • 50C8DAN
    With you two guys we are at 22!  8 to go.
  • 50c8dan,
    What is the part # for the metal Al. head gasket with 7/16 studs? Thanks, Fred
  • 50C8DAN
    edited December 2021
    When I installed my Al head I used the 7570SPT PRO TORQUE HIGH BOND HEAD GASKET 1951-54 308 ($95.00) from Dale Cooper and I have had no issues with it leaking.  However many use the Best Gaskets w/ Permabond and have had good results as well.
  • 50C8DAN said:
    This thread should give you the info you need.  This head will not be any different than a stock aluminum Hudson head as far as keeping your head healthy with the cast iron block.

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/366869/308-aluminum-head-w-0-5-head-bolts-gasket-and-torque-setting

This is where I got all my answers :) Additionally, I've always used the Best Gasket (722/723 depending on head bolts) as suggested by Russ and Dale. Some commenters on that thread shy away but we've had lots of long, healthy life on iron and aluminum heads with those gaskets. And Russ always said not to torque aluminum heads more than about 65 ft-lbs (unless you have insane compression ratios).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I believe the proposed head has a very different design than what Wildrick sells.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel when Wildricks is selling performance heads?
    Doug is selling a recasting of the former Clifford Head.   The finned head being offered is a completely different head and was designed and a short run of heads was originally produced by HET members out of the ElPaso area.  The finned head was produced before Doug decided to re- offer the Clifford head.  This action is an attempt to collect enough orders to once again produce a limited run of the finned Hudson head. 
  • 50C8DAN
    Please see photos and information on the Clifford combustion chamber, which is based on old technology, and the newer vortex design, they are very different.  
  • 50c8dan, Will the new finned AL. head be able to have an A/C mounting plate bracket, on top of the head, utilizing the two head bolts on the driver side front? Thanks, Fred
  • 50C8DAN
    Fred I am not sure I understand the question.  If the current stock head does I am not sure why this one would not?  Or are you asking for a mounting flange modification?
  • 50c8dan, I was concerned that the fins would be strong enough to accomendate the hold down plate for the A/C bracket. The A/C bracket is a flat plate mounted to the top of the head by the two front head bolts on the driver side. A vertical plate then goes down the side of the block and mounts to the generator mounting holes. A/C compressor and alternator mount to this vertical plate. 
    Also is this Al. head 2 inches thick as the iron head is?
  • 50c8dan, I was concerned that the fins would be strong enough to accomendate the hold down plate for the A/C bracket. The A/C bracket is a flat plate mounted to the top of the head by the two front head bolts on the driver side. A vertical plate then goes down the side of the block and mounts to the generator mounting holes. A/C compressor and alternator mount to this vertical plate. 
    Also is this Al. head 2 inches thick as the iron head is?
    Fred, If the fins are too tall, we could set it up on my mill and machine them down in that area. I could do it while you wait... Or, I could set it up, and you could do it.
  • 50C8DAN
    I cannot really answer if it will work as-is or not.  The other option is to make some filler blocks that fit between the fins to help strengthen the area.  However, the fins are not really that thin so I think they may be OK.
  • thanks to 54coup and 50c8Dan for the response. 

50c8Dan, will the new Al head be 2 inches thick as is the iron head? Thanks Fred
  • 50C8DAN
    If you check a check a stock head it is probably a bit shy of 2" but yes the new head will measure 2" unless you decide to mill it.