Heater wiring

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
Does anyone have the wiring circuit diagram for the heater in a 1948 Hudson please?   here is no reference to it in the  wiring diagram, nor the workshop manual.   There are three terminals on the switch, marked V, B and H.

Comments

• Geoff, Don't know how 48-49 Hudsons were shipped to Australia or NZ were wired but here in the States they were wired as follows: The fan blower motor had two wires coming off it. One was a ground wire attached to the body of the fan blower box. The other wire went to the fan switch in the front of the fan blower box. The switch has 3 positions Far left was 'off' . Next, at the 12:00 position was the 'fast'. Next to that was the second speed or'slow' fan speed.   The wire on the back of the switch  then continued on the hold a fuse on the outside of the blower box and then went on to the the circuit breaker on the back of the instrument panel. The resetable circuit breaker is located on the dash brace . You can wire it to the 'BAT' side of the breaker.  Weird thing is that while I have noticed long ago  that the owner's manual has no indication of wiring for a heater they included the wiring for turn signals which many cars at that time didn't have. Most cars had heaters so why was the schematic for turn signals put in when the heater diagram was not? More people had heaters than turn signals so ....???????????  Go figure.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thanks Lance.  The switch does not appear to have a resistor on it, perhaps it is internal.
  • Geoff, That is exactly correct.
  • Lance:
    Is the wiring  for the heater the same for a '53 Hornet?
    regards
    J Lombard
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Doh!   I have discovered the  heater switch on the HEATER!  Just needs connecting to the  Acc. terminal of the ign. sw.  The switch I thought was the heater control turns out to be the  Vacumotive drive control!  This has been removed from the car, so not needed. Paradoxically, the switches have exactly the same positions, hence my misunderstanding.   
  • J Lombard said:
    Lance:
    Is the wiring  for the heater the same for a '53 Hornet?
    regards
    J Lombard
    Jay, Very same except now the heater control switch is on the left hand sub dash instead of the blower box.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    So if anyone needs an original three-position switch  for Drive-master, I have one.  
  • Lance thank you for your help

J Lombard