Gold Plating Hornet "V" at home?

Has anyone tried to plate a Hornet V at home?  Results?  Recommendations?  

Hearing what folks want to charge has scared me to look elsewhere.  

Thanks all, 

Ray

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited July 2021
    Suggest send it to T&J Bumper in Ohio. They did mine reasonable and people cant tell it from gold plating. .  They have done chrome plating for me too. Rock Creek Oh, East of Cleveland and they Ship all over.... 440 474 4434. Just describe it and mention they did mine a few yrs ago.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    How much $ are the bids are you getting?
  • Ol racer
    Its not Gold but looks like it...I dont recall how much it cost. I will Post the picture probably tomorrow...
  • Ol racer

• Ol racer
    edited July 2021
    51 Hood Gold ornament but pictutre does not do justice. Difficult to get true color under lights...
  • Look online for some instructions and plate it yourself with BRASS; 12 volts and copper sulfate solution.
    Suppose to be relatively easy; also some Youtubes out there. None but the purists would know the difference~~~
  • Hey Ol Racer, 

I asked T & J.  They said they did not do it any longer.  I called two places.  One wanted $425 the other wanted $350.  Just for the V!  I thought to my self, hell I can make a mold and cast it in solid silver for less and plate it using a home set.   

Richard, 

I'm going to look into the brass. I find copper plating but not really brass.  

I might even look into some of the better spray paints.  

I will let you all know what I come up with. 

Thanks, 

Ray
  • Ol racer
    Im sorry that didnt pan out for you. Good luck going forward....
  • trdrew
    trdrew Member
    edited August 2021
    You might consider this kit from Caswell:

https://caswellplating.com/plug-n-plater-gold-emblem-plating-stripping-kit.html

I have not used this particular kit, but I have used other products from Caswell and have had excellent results.