removing exhaust and muffler

ValVal Posts: 1,021Member
I'm removing the exhaust pipe, muffler and tail pipe on my 39 to install new. I have sprayed lots of PB Blaster and have remove muffler clamps and clamps under the car back to teh tail pipe. Now getting every thing seprerated. I thought heating using a torch. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• cheyenne7271cheyenne7271 Posts: 361Member
    Sawzall, Air hammer and chisel, unless your trying to save some pieces. 
  • ValVal Posts: 1,021Member
    Ah tools which I don't have at my disposal so maybe a muffler shop would be the best option
  • ratlee2ratlee2 Posts: 314Expert Adviser
  • BigSkyBigSky Posts: 976Senior Contributor
    edited July 16
    I have used an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade.  Naturally it all depends on what your saving. 

I’ve cut a couple lines through the muffler stub pipe but not the inner pipe.  Then a chisel or screwdriver hammered to knock off the muffler.  This was done to remove a muffler but save the pipes for muffler replacement or to straight pipe it. 

The red lines would be the cut lines but with clamp already removed:

I used a tail pipe cutting tool I rented from Auto zone. Thanks for the info Gang!!
    Well dang it!! The NOS tail pipe does not fit. No matter how I twist and turn it once it's over the axle it gets stuck on the floor if the car. I lay it next to the one I took out and it's bent slightly different. So I putt the muffler on and I will take it to shop on Monday. 
  • paulrhd29nzpaulrhd29nz Posts: 255Member
    just out of curiosity, are you jacking up the car from the axles ?
    Yes I am 
    Well not exactly, I put the floor jack under the differential and jack it up that way. But when I took the NOS tail pipe and compared it to my old one the bends are different in it. 
  • paulrhd29nzpaulrhd29nz Posts: 255Member
    You may have better luck getting it to fit if you put jack stands under the frame to let you diff hand down. 
    Maybe but I took the car to a muffler shop and they said the pipes I have are too big so they are making me new one. 
    Got he car back, new exhaust installed. She sounds good and runs good now. took her out for about 20 minutes this afternoon and ran thru all gears including O/D, no pings and accelerates as she should. She's ready for the open road!