308 flywheel

I have a 308 wet clutch standard flywheel. I would like to possibly find a dry standard flywheel for my 308. I have been told that this specific standard flywheel was offered only in 55 and 56 on 308 only. What are the chances that one kind of flywheel still exists or is available.

Comments

• The 55-56 flywheel doesn't  bolt up to the 48-54 crankshaft. The flange on the late crank is a larger diameter, the mounting bolts are 1/2-20, and thread into the crank, ( early ones use studs), and the bolt pattern is not the same.
  • My engine is a confirmed 55 308. I have confirmed that it is a 55 jc Whitney blue engine and the cast numbers also confirm that it is a 55 308 engine too.
  • Does the dry clutch flywheel still exist?
  • They are extremely hard to find. I have seen 55-6 Whitney engines with early cranks. If your crank has studs to mount the flywheel, its early. If it has fine threaded 1/2" holes, it's 55-6, The 55-6 is also 1/2' shorter where it sticks out the back of the block. 
    Is this the block and crank you took out of your car to rebuild it? Are you just wanting to get away from cork friction material? There are quite a few Hudsons out there with Kevlar wet clutches, that work very well. Harley Davidsons and a lot of forklifts use wet Kevlar clutches too. The pilot bearing and the throwout bearing depend on the clutch fluid for lubrication too. 
    I'm not trying to be critical in any way... I hope it doesn't read like I am. If you would like to talk on the phone, we can P.M. phone numbers....