1937 Hudson Eight?

GreenHornetGreenHornet Posts: 13Member
It's a four-door sedan. It's missing the grille and such. Are replacement parts like brake drums and shoes available? Would it be a shame to part it out?

Picture(s) coming soon.

Comments

• Jon BJon B Posts: 7,295Administrator
    edited May 30
    Depends upon overall condition.  If (besides missing "the grille and such") it's also rusty, banged up and missing many other things, it probably would be good only be a parts car.  It certainly would not be worth pouring in all the money required to buy those parts, (and then restoring the car).  Generally, someone could purchase a very nice four-door for a fraction of the cost of restoring one.

If, however, the car was in great shape except for a few missing pieces, then it might be worth replacing the parts on the car, instead of parting the car out.

Pictures would tell us a lot.

As to replacement parts...they're out there, though the grilles alone are bringing so much money from street rodders nowadays (hundreds of dollars) that they're fairly hard to find.
  • GreenHornetGreenHornet Posts: 13Member

Thanks for the reply, Jon.

More pictures coming, if reducing the file size a bit is what helped.

• 2manyprojects2manyprojects Posts: 706Expert Adviser
    location ?
    location ?
    It's in central California.

At a minimum, the floor is rusted through.

edited May 31
    That's it for the current pictures. I might take more, if it's still there the next time I go by.

I first saw a Hudson probably in the early 1990s in Camarillo. Someone had an original four-door Hornet, oxidized blue and cream. They drove it. I wish I would have tried to get that one.

Then in the mid-90s there were several Hudson pickups on the side of a business in Chico, CA. I'd love to have at least one of those. I wonder what happened to them.

I saw this one and stopped to check it out. "Is that a Hudson?"

The next time I drove by there was someone in the garage. He said it's a '37 Terraplane and he got it for the steering wheel. Then I noticed "HUDSON" on the cylinder head. It was fun to sit in it, look through the split windshield and move the shifter around.

I posted it on another forum and someone said it's an Eight because Terraplanes all had sixes.

I prefer the flat trunk over the humpback. I think Terraplanes have the flat trunk. There was a broken glass taillight lens in the trunk.

It might be fun to get it and try to get it going more or less as-is. But I figure that brake drums and shoes aren't readily available, and it might need some.

I'd like to save the split windshield, roof and such for a future project, but I am also not wanting to cut up the car, if someone wants to rescue it.

Please hazard some guesses as to what it's worth. What would you pay for it?
  • lostmindlostmind Posts: 1,389Expert Adviser
    I see few parts usable to make it worth hauling unless you can buy it for scrap value.
    Then you can remove the few usable parts and scrap the rest and get your money back.
    You can buy a running car for half of what you would have in that one.
    But if you have spare cash and like playing with " Junker's" , you certainly have a lot to play with.
    Not many engines cost more to machine and rebuild than a Hudson eight.
    But they are sweet when right.
  • Jon BJon B Posts: 7,295Administrator
    I think this car would yield up a lot of "small" parts that people need.  If you could buy it for $1,000 or less, and had a place to store it, you might even make a small profit, parting it out.  But if you want a "fixer-upper", I'd say it would be worth paying $2,000-3,000 for something that is solid and "all there", as a starting point.  With a car like the one you're looking at, it would cost thousands of dollars in body repair alone.  If this style of car appeals to you, look for a much better example to tinker with.  Check Ebay, various Craigslistings, and Google, just to see what is out there and at what price.  Then you get a real feel for what you will have to pay for something in basically good condition.  Do your due diligence.  Then, when a bargain comes along, you will know it's a bargain immediately.