308 thermostat housings

This is my head for my 308 engine. I have a thermostat housing that does not have the coolant bypass in it and I also have a housing that does have a coolant bypass in it. Does it make a difference in which housing that I use on my engine where it concerns cooling?

Comments

• If you use the housing with the bypass and don't block off the bypass then you will have to use one of the old-style thermostats like the Hudson 166272 or you will have a significant quantity of coolant bypass the radiator.  I haven't seen a housing that fits that doesn't have the bypass.

There is a good discussion on the bypass and thermostats in the cooling section of this website: https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    The housing without the bypass is 55-56. You can use it on previous years.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    If you use the 1955-56 housing, what modifications are necessary for using a modern thermostat such as the suggested M.G. #4366?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Railking the only concern is the depth to allow the thermostat to fully open.  May need as spacer like Walt used to sell? 
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    If you use the 1955-56 housing, what modifications are necessary for using a modern thermostat such as the suggested M.G. #4366?
    No modifications to the housing itself.
  • I broke the bypass housing today while trying to get the thermostat out. What is the highest possible thermostat that I can use in a308 engine? I have read that only a160 degree thermostat is to be used. Can I use a 180 or 195 degrees thermostat? I will be using a new radiator when I rebuild my  48 club coupe