54 Hudson Hornet Engine Color

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I know the engine color in 1954 was red for the Hornet 308 engine but does anyone know exactly what red it is?  Name & Code?  Or a rattle can that’s a match?  Ideally a brand & color name if possible would be great.  Thanks!

Comments

• 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    I use Krylon Cherry Red.
  • I've finally decided to paint my engine street hemi orange just to be different. I'm also using stromburg carbs for that old school rod look on my Charlie Price 2x2 intake adapter on my Clifford intake.
  • BigSky
    edited May 2021
    I like the look of the Gold engine with the Twin H’s red air cleaners. If I had the engine out I would probably lean that direction but I was looking to just touch up some spots on the already red engine.  

Unfortunately the prior owner has been of little help so it’s definitely a guessing game to see if I can 1) determine what was supposed to have been used & 2) what was actually used on this engine.  I would not be surprised if I can’t really match it up & have to get it color matched to an automotive paint. 
  • BigSky
    Come on guy, someone out there must know what the closest color is to the OEM Hudson engine red!
  • You got me on that one bro. I can only guess on the true shade of OEM Hudson engine colors.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I used Ford Red, I've heard here that's pretty close.  Expert I am not... but I like red...
  • Nice looking engine
  • Rust O Leum Heritage or Colonial Red is used for the twin H air cleaners if you want the to match your block and be the same
  • BigSky
    Tried a couple different reds on the thermostat housing, it’s difficult looking at a rattle can lid & knowing how it’s really going to look when sprayed.  I am trying to come close to what was used….

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Looks like Ford red engine paint. It's what I used and what others told me they used. 
    Might be different by brand , maybe look at What Carpenter offers for Y block Ford.