1934/5 Hudson & Terraplane Car Jack

philster
philster Expert Adviser
Does anyone have a photo of an original car jack that was provided with new 1934/5 H & T vehicles.  I believe that part number was #40693

Regards
Phil

Comments

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I don't have the jack but I do have the original combined wheel bolt wrench and hubcap remover if a pic of that would help you.
  • JACK356
    JACK356 Member
    Hello. I have a 34 no jack but the original wheel key coupled with the boot crank. I can send pictures if needed
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    I would be interested in any pics members may have.
    regards, Tom
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    An update - this is a photo of a Terraplane Jack that has been sent to me by another Aust Terraplane enthusiast.  
    Can any one confirm this - I do not recall ever seeing a Jack that looks like this.
    Regards. Phil

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just for point of comparison, here is the bumper jack for 1937 and maybe 1938 as well.  (Possibly even for other years.)  Left side of threaded rod drops into steel baseplate (above).  The end of a  jack handle  (bent from 1/4" or 3/8" rod) fits into the nipple of the gearbox (at center), which then rides up and down the shaft.  The notched bar is attached to the gearbox; the notch fits into the underside of the bumper brackets.  Like all bumper jacks, it looks fairly dangerous.

• Yes it looks as dangerous as a vw beetle jack. C is just for the deco
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    They are an accident waiting to happen.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    I thought the ‘35 was a bumper jack similar to the one above. Regards, Tom
  • philster
    philster Expert Adviser
    This is a jack that I have in my 1936 Terraplane - thought to be original? 
    The patent number on the jack lead me to the following - June 9, 1936. G. H. GREIMAN LIFTING JACK Filed May 15, 1935 /NVENTO/?- a o/ye H. Ore/man 5y H/s Arme/vn s %'Mx/[M4- Patented June 9, 1936 UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE IJFTING JACK George H. Greiman, Garner, Iowa Application May 15, 1935, Serial No. 21,558.

Given the date of the patent, I am still looking for what was used in 1934 ?

• Toddh
    Toddh Member
    The parts book indicates the 34/35 Hudson and Terraplane models as well as 36 commercial models all used the same jack.  I’m fairly certain they used an axle jack as shown above in this thread.   I have a large collection of 33/34/35 dealer sales and service circulars and letters. I know I have seen this information in there discussing the change to a bumper jack for Hudson and Terraplane passenger models in ‘36.   When I get some time I will research it.