Front suspension issue

54Hollywood
54Hollywood Senior Contributor
Hi everyone.  Hoping someone might be able to help me with my front end problem.  (Yeah, go see a doctor, I know, got it.)  But I'm talking about our '54 Hornet.  Had the front end rebuilt with new springs, shocks, tie rods, brakes, radials, etc. but she really bangs hard on the road.  Does not like railroad tracks, tar strips, manhole covers etc. and doesn't "float" over road imperfections like our other Hudsons used to do.  So I'm wondering if any of this could be related to something awry with the power steering unit?  That wasn't touched during the rebuild.  Or do you have any thoughts about what else I could check?  Thanks much.

Tim in WI

Comments

• Could be that your shocks aren't able move correctly due to over tightened mounts. Heavy duty shocks in place of standard ones. Your tires could be overinflated or the radials dont flex like the taller bias ply ones did. Try jacking the front of the car up on one side and set a jack stand, and then jack the wheel up from under the control arm and see if makes correct travel and everything moves correctly. Check that the wheels spin freely.
  • 54Hollywood
    Interesting.  Thanks for the suggestion.  So you don't think the power steering assembly would have anything to do with it?  
  • Doubtfull, but I would start with the above. You can jack the front end up with two stands holding it up and turn the steering left to right and observe for smoothness.
  • 54Hollywood
    Ok, I'll jack up the front and see what I can find.  Never heard about a possibility of over tightened mounts.  Interesting.  The car has Monroe Sensa Trac 5751s on the front and I've heard that those are standard replacement shocks.  I'll play with it this weekend.  Thanks for your input.