1935 Hudson hubcap wanted

Hello, 
I am looking for a hubcap to fit my spare for a 1935 Hudson.  It does not have to be in perfect condition, I just want something to cover the hole that looks somewhat period correct. I attached a picture for reference.

Thank you. 

Comments

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    If you're not worried about originality and if it's only for the sidemount, you could probably use a Baby Moon type hubcap.
  • I would be up for that.  do you know who might sell one that would fit the original clips on that spare tire cover?  I am not 100% sure how to measure to make sure anything would fit.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I don't have a sidemount on my '34 but in rnrracing's pic the hole that the hubcap covers looks smaller diameter than the stock hubcap.
    Baby Moons come on a wide variety of diameters and fixings so with a bit of ingenuity it should be possible to cobble together a solution using one.
  • Old Fogey UK
    rnrracing said:
    I would be up for that.  do you know who might sell one that would fit the original clips on that spare tire cover?  I am not 100% sure how to measure to make sure anything would fit.
    Try this website for a large variety of Baby Moons 

www.hubcapmike.com

Hubcap Mike will probably be able to give you advice about what to do.

• I believe I found a picture of what the back of the hubcap should look like since the clips are about 5 1/4" in diameter but the flat part of the spare cover is about 9" in diameter. This picture is from a Terraplane but I am sure its the same as what I need.  Now to try and find one. 
    I will try hubcap mike.  
  • Old Fogey UK
    Good luck ! ?
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    what does a 35 hubcap look like?
  • JACK356
    JACK356 Member
    Type your comment
  • Very nice.  Thank you for the info.  Any chance you know where I can get one?
  • Old Fogey UK
    rnrracing said:
    Very nice.  Thank you for the info.  Any chance you know where I can get one?
    Speaking from personal experience, decent ones are as hard to find as rocking horse crap.
  • LOL.  Thanks.  maybe I will just have to buy something else and create a way to mount it.  The spare will never be used so this is just going to be to cover the hole.  I would love it to look somewhat period correct but I cant seem to find any of the rocking horse crap under my rocking horse,  so I will need to revert to something else. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    rnrracing said:
    LOL.  Thanks.  maybe I will just have to buy something else and create a way to mount it.  The spare will never be used so this is just going to be to cover the hole.  I would love it to look somewhat period correct but I cant seem to find any of the rocking horse crap under my rocking horse,  so I will need to revert to something else. 
    Some sort of Baby Moon is probably going to be the best alternative .
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    If you use a baby moon type, You could have a vinyl decal made with the Hudson script for the hub cap.
  • Yes that is a great Idea.  I just cant find a baby moon that matches the internal clip size.  I may just have to buy something close and either silicone it on or bolt it on somehow. then have the sticker made up.

• Old Fogey UK
    rnrracing said:
    Yes that is a great Idea.  I just cant find a baby moon that matches the internal clip size.  I may just have to buy something close and either silicone it on or bolt it on somehow. then have the sticker made up.

I was thinking along the lines of you using one of the small golf cart ones matching the hole in your spare wheel cover rather than one the same size as a Hudson hubcap.
    Perhaps you could use a bigger one by attaching a length of threaded rod to the inside of the hub cap (maybe with JB Weld) to go through a cross bar inside the cover hole and held on by a nut ?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I have this one as part of my garage art.  It is in pretty good shape but would need to be buffed and repainted in the letters.  
  • 50C8DAN,  if that is something you willing to part with, let me know how much you want for it and if I could get a picture of the back just to make sure it would fit, that would be great. 
  • 50C8DAN
    edited May 2021
    I will get a back photo tomorrow.  I don't need anything for it, just a replacement for my garage wall where this one was.

• 50C8DAN,  I would love to get that hub cap from you.  If you would take paypal I could buy it from you if you could ship it to me.  I do want to pay you something for it as it would just mean so much to me to have this hub cap. 
  • 50C8DAN
    Sorry been caught up in some work stuff.  I will send a photo of the back of it.  Do you have any 30's 40's hubcaps I can put in its place?  I think it will fit in a flat rate box.
  • 50C8DAN
    Here is the backside. Little surface rust but nothing bad.  A little light sandblast and some Rustoleum ought to do it. 
  • 50C8DAN, thank you very much.  It fit perfectly.  I will run it this way for a year and then take it and have it re-chromed. It fills that empty spot on the car, which was an eye sore for me.  Thank you again.  
  • 50C8DAN
    edited May 2021
    Glad it worked!  I don't think it is plated and it may only need a good buffing.
  • Old Fogey UK
    rnrracing said:
    50C8DAN, thank you very much.  It fit perfectly.  I will run it this way for a year and then take it and have it re-chromed. It fills that empty spot on the car, which was an eye sore for me.  Thank you again.  
    So pleased you got what you wanted.?