Step down Swaybar

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
edited April 2021 in HUDSON
Does anyone have an extra front Swaybar that Dale Cooper sells, 1.125” Addco I believe.  I need one for a 54 Hudson Hornet. 

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    You can buy them directly  from  Addco co. They make them I think they are in Fla.
  • BigSky
    Is there any rear Swaybar original or aftermarket for the step downs?
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Not that I know of if it is you can send it to addico and have it made I had my front one made  their and Dale started  to sell them from that company I have no interest in selling them
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    The front bar is the most important one. Ive found the stepdown rear hoizontal track bar has been adequate. The Ford ranger fit my '51 nice. The larger O.D. clamps bolted right in place . Its not quite 1.125 though, but made a difference 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    On a similar note, does anyone have a rear panhard rod for a Stepdown?
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Panhard rod is the proper name for it
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Geoff said:
    On a similar note, does anyone have a rear panhard rod for a Stepdown?
    Yes Geoff, I do. 
  • What years of Ford Ranger sway bar should we be looking the junk yards for?
  • I have a brand new still wrapped Dale Cooper sway bar that I ordered for my '49 Super and then cut and welded in complete rack and pinion front end instead. Maybe $250 plus shipping, if interested.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    I got my sway bar from a late '90's early 2000 Ford Ranger by walking thru the Salvage Yard with a Tape. Dont know exact year since it was setting on another vehicle with a bee hive ... seriously!
  • I have a brand new still wrapped Dale Cooper sway bar that I ordered for my '49 Super and then cut and welded in complete rack and pinion front end instead. Maybe $250 plus shipping, if interested.
    Checked back and found I paid $219 plus shipping from Dale and waited over a year before it shipped. Asking $200 plus shipping.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Frank check your email....
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited April 2021
    Visual difference: Stock is in the middle with 1.125" HD bars.
    HD is almost 3 times the cross sectional area!

Driving with one is a BIG thrill and almost unbelievable ~~~ 
  • BigSky
    I have a Ranger bar but something must be different about it than Ol Racer’s bars.  I couldn’t get it to work at all yesterday & ended up putting the old bar back on.  I’d like to use one of the new bars that Richard shows but may have to hit the salvage yard again.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Maybe need a call to Addco?
  • BigSky
    edited April 2021
    Oh, trust me... I called!

However the reason I’m beating my head against the wall on the salvage yard bar search is, I’d like to help a friend out near me & put a bigger bar on his car for him.  

Additionally I still need to find bars for my 37 Hudson coupe, even though it handles way better than my 54 Hudson sedan.  
  • your last sentence shows us all you have something terribly wrong in the set up of your 54
  • My stock 50 Super drives and handles better than most cars well into the 60’s, but I’d like a fatter bar just to make it better. Car still has original bushings and shocks too. 
  • 54coupe
    54coupe Member
    edited April 2021
    I've had a 1-1/8 Jeep one on our 52 Wasp since 1990. You can buy brand new ones for less than $100, or get one from a junk yard for about 25. Some of the serious off road guys take them off and throw them away.