Hubcap Question

ratlee2
ratlee2 Expert Adviser
Other than being available in two widths, are wheels the same for 48-54?  I would like to install the smaller dog dish hucaps on my 53 Hornet.  I would also be open to aftermarket if anyone knows of caps that will fit Hudson rims.

Comments

• yes they are, they have the clips that hold the hubcap on. A 54 is different and won’t hold the old style caps
  • Lance
    Lance Member
    Hudson standard rims were identical to two other makes Nash and Kaiser. Mopar rims will fit but have a different style retaining clip. If you use Mopar rims you also have to watch for width of rims.  You can use any other type of smaller wheel cover you like as long as it will snap over the clips on a Hudson rim. All Hudson rims will interchange.48-54 The only oddball is the 1954 which  had a small rectangular metal piece welded near the air valve hole to prevent the full size 1954 wheel cover from slightly rotating around the rim while the car is moving. The problem was the as the cover rotated around, it cut the air valve stem and a loss of tire pressure occurred. The other problem was that the 54 full sized wheel covers had a tendency to fly off as they did not use  the center wheel clips to secure them on. 
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the information.
  • So if I understand correctly the 54 or 56 full cover hubcap will work on my 48 with no issues?