Removing Valve Covers

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
I'm about to do a valve job.
 I have removed both manifolds and the rear valve cover but can't slide or jiggle out the front valve cover because of the location of the oil pump.
Do I really have to take the oil pump off as well or am I missing something obvious ?

Comments

• It must not be a 48-56 six cylinder...
  • Old Fogey UK
    54coupe said:
    It must not be a 48-56 six cylinder...
    It's a 1934 254.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    Assume you removed the ventilation pipe, correct?  It should slide out without removing the oil pump.  The valve cover gasket can get ‘welded’ to the block so you may need to pry it loose. 
  • I took them off without worry. Definitely the joints that stick

• Otherwise; there is access through the right front wheel passage. A hatch with screws that gives access to the valve

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You  have to remove the timing  cover bolt that hinders you moving the front  tappet cover forward.   Mover the cover outwards at the top and forward and  wiggle it out.   
  • I think Hudson used feeler gauges to be sure parts had enough clearance to be removed and replaced. 
  • Old Fogey UK
    supercub said:
    I think Hudson used feeler gauges to be sure parts had enough clearance to be removed and replaced. 
    It often seems that way !
    With my 1934 Eight, you can only get at the tappets to adjust them with the manifolds off and so "engine hot" clearances are nonsense.
    Geoff's tip for getting the front valve cover off  worked for me, by the way.
  • Those little tricks of the trade are priceless.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I'm sure there is a removable panel to get access to the rear tappets.  I always adjust them hot. Most accurate way.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Geoff said:
    I'm sure there is a removable panel to get access to the rear tappets.  I always adjust them hot. Most accurate way.
    No there isn't, Geoff.
    On 34 and 35 cars there's a removable panel in the wheel arch that sort of lets you get awkward access to the front valve chamber but that's all.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Of course you are right.   The sweep of the guard gives enough room to get to the back ones.  You only have to stand on your head, with  your torso twisted 90 deg. and have three hands to perform the task, otherwise it is a piece of cake.   Seriously though, the manifolds make little difference to the accessibility, as the exhaust sits on top of the block.  Have fun!