Model 89 112 Coupe Info

Guys, I need some help. Production numbers for the 38' 112 model was 25,409. Of those, I want to know how many of the 112 Model 89 "Coupes" were made. I know the serial numbers started at 8928566. Weird, because all other serial numbers started with only 5 numbers. The owners manual says the 3 door coupe serial number started at 2500 with the Victoria Coupe starting at 2540. I know they didn't only make 40 - 112 - 3 passenger coupes.
Can anyone out there enlighten e with the numbers?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited March 2021
    My understanding is that -- when Hudson merged with Nash to form AMC -- most of the factory's files were thrown out, including the ones that would have given the quantity of body styles manufactured.  So, only the total number of Hudson products manufactured during a given calendar year are available today.

Here's how the serial numbering worked, at least as I understand it!

In 1938, the first digits of the serial number indicated the model year, and the remainder of the number indicated the sequence of manufacture -- for all models.

So "8928566" (the number you gave) indicates that the car bearing that number was a "112" (model 89), and it was the 28,465th Hudson product to roll off the assembly line during the 1938 run.  (The 1938 sequence numbers began with #101, so deduct 101 from 28,566 (in your serial number) to get the true sequence number.

As each car came off the assembly line it was assigned a sequence number.  Let's say that the "8928566" you mentioned, was indeed a "112" coupe.  The next car off the line might have been a Custom Six (model 83) convertible.  It would have been numbered "8328567", one digit higher.  The next car, a Country Club Eight (model 87) would have been "8728568".  And so on.

So you see, it's essentially impossible to know the exact number of body styles by looking at the serial number.  

I wasn't aware that the owners manuals gave information like serial numbers.  So I'm not sure what your manual was saying.  Likely, it was saying that the very first 3-passenger coupe was sequence number 2500, and the first victoria coupe was 2540.  The second victoria coupe might have been #2903.   Each body style did not have a "run" of sequential numbers assigned to it, in other words.  

• Thank you for your info. I guess my question has been lost to the ages!!!!!